BOOTS!

brownee

Looking at new boots...

Ive had 2 pairs of Formas and dont rate them... get what you pay for I guess.

Got some Gaernes which were great but now pretty nakerd.

Looking at Stylemartins or Sidis maybe.... any feed back? Could save a few quid with these or should I stick with with the Gaernes??

Cheers.

+1 for sidis from me, although i bought them before the stylemartins came on the market. Would be interested in trying the latter. For me, gaernes arent what they used to be 10 year ago

Edited by faussy
  • Like 1

As far as I know, Gaernes are the only boots that claim to be waterproof. Which seems to be a pretty important factor given that we go paddling around in streams. I bought Gaernes as my first pair of trials boots on that basis. I have nothing to compare with, but I'm pretty happy with them, and my toes have stayed dry so far.

7 hours ago, petert said:

Just sold my brand new Sidis as I couldn't get my foot in them ! Bought the same size as my old Forma ones but they came up much smaller.

Got sidi same size as Gaerne and was fine with me

4 hours ago, trapezeartist said:

As far as I know, Gaernes are the only boots that claim to be waterproof. Which seems to be a pretty important factor given that we go paddling around in streams. I bought Gaernes as my first pair of trials boots on that basis. I have nothing to compare with, but I'm pretty happy with them, and my toes have stayed dry so far.

Gaerne are better when new ref being waterproof but that doesn’t last and then your left with a less durable boot .

wet feet never bothered me so I go fior protection and durability first .

• Like 2

I got some stylmartin over christmas for a bargain but i was only looking because my forma boulders have split on the stiched outer seam in less than 12 months.

Very happy with stylmartins far superior quality and protection,:also the liner has kept my feet dry with and even without sealskinz on so far. Only negative for me (at first try on) was they felt much stiffer and uncomfy around the ankle compared to forma which where very comfy from new and is possibly the only good thing about em ?

Have a pair of Sidi Zero's and find they are a very good boot, feet do get wet quickly if ground is moist though. Also have a newer pair of Gaerne Balance oiled that I find are slightly more comfortable and are water resistant, which has gotten even more resistant due to the fact I occasionally rub them down with Dubbin.Both excellent boots, would not hesitate to to purchase either or both again in the future. Good luck

Had a few Sidis, they're sized a bit small, go a size up to allow for hardening/shrinking after getting soaked and your feet will stay warmer with a bit of air trapped inside. I've had no problem with Forma Boulders, I like the extra height on the shins compared to Sidis, for the price they're a good boot that I have totally abused for nearly 3 years without any bother. 

Edited by sirdabalot

7 hours ago, sirdabalot said:

Had a few Sidis, they're sized a bit small, go a size up to allow for hardening/shrinking after getting soaked and your feet will stay warmer with a bit of air trapped inside. I've had no problem with Forma Boulders, I like the extra height on the shins compared to Sidis, for the price they're a good boot that I have totally abused for nearly 3 years without any bother. 

+1.

Forma Boulders  here.

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/03/2018 at 2:38 PM, petert said:

Just sold my brand new Sidis as I couldn't get my foot in them ! Bought the same size as my old Forma ones but they came up much smaller.

Yep had exactly the same problem with my Sidi road boots. Italians must have skinny and much slimmer feet, something to do with pasta socks maybe. Anyhow got the next size up (I’m a uk10) so now 11 and they were sooo comfy, but gave reassuring snug fit in the right places.?

I just rode for the first time this year with a new pair of Gaerne! Nice boot....  I found them on Amazon for $230 with my Prime free shipping, ?! They aren't the oiled waterproof boots, so I used some mink oil to help preserve the leather and waterproof the boots.  Super comfy boot right out of the box!!!  

The 1 bad thing is the plastic buckles.....  Seams a bit cheap considering the price of the boot! 

I have a pair of Forma boots (low) for my riding my GSA..... I didn't think they had enough ankle support for romping through the woods!