4rt improvement underway. Any thoughts ?

Monty Wise One

Sorry for the late reply . I've gone for heavier springs front and rear,I've got ohlins on order but riding in Wales soon so changed the R16V to match the front temporarily. Bike is in bits as I type. Tech fork adjuster where it attatches to damper rod was cross threaded, on inspection the rod is off centre inside the fork so it's not hard to see why it was damaged. I've managed to drill out the cross thread in the cap approximately 3 mm to allow it to take up the remaining thread. New caps are available for £65 at splatshop in case anyone needs one. I started stripping to improve the bike and have been sidetracked with extra bits. Headstock bearings were rusting so we're changed, the fork cap being badly connected actually separated and allowed the fork to overextend and allow the stanchion holes to dump oil through the dust seal and out onto my workshop floor. The improvements will start tomorrow.

Happy Easter everyone.

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve got an S3 front pipe fitted now, I’ll be testing it next weekend. I’ve fitted the heavier springs, rode a really messy muddy trial riding inter. It wasn’t a good set of results and i reverted back to the originals for a Wales 2 dayer at Wern Ddu Quarry. Definitely better response even though I’m 14 stone. Öhlins shock should be around in a week or two hopefully. That’ll give me something plush to test. One other thing, I’ve been riding with two clutch springs removed for trialling, removing the jerky on off clutch, it’s running htx. For the big stuff we rode in Wales I refitted them, the clutch was much more like a switch but regained the grip where the other setup slipped on long hill climbs. It’s getting better though, bit by bit. 

• Like 1

I've received the ohlins shock and fitted it, had a day of practice in the wet and it feels much smoother and plush while responsive,came with a 75 spring fitted and once fitted was set to 80 mm sag. Nice responsive feel with measured resistance on bigger drop offs and splats. With the S3 pipe combined with a dual ptb it was instantly more responsive, much better power at low and mid range. I expected minor improvement but I'd say it excelled for just a front pipe. Next is an ally 2006 silencer, less restrictive but light and well made. Next will be improvements to me, I've got myself a nice bike now so no excuses.

• Like 2