Do I keep it or sell it?

section swept

7 hours ago, tonyp said:

On the subject of restoring old bikes, I had an interesting experience a couple of weeks ago.

I was doing up an 80's trials bike, and decided to lower the footrests and sharpen the steering head. 

Initially, I was going to do it myself, but then thought I'd get it done by one of the various guys who have websites advertising pre-65 & twinshock type stuff.

I emailed one of them for a quote .......£800 ......yes, eight hundred pounds !!    An expensive bit of welding don't you think !

This has been a great topic IMO,plan to drop my pegs down as I find with my long legs I feel I'am riding my bike like a jockey when sitting down :D,honestly don't like the position on my Monty 349 for gearshift and brake....not sure about changing steering head angle as I don't know for sure it has been done already,lots of Bombay welding been done there not sure its a repair or a modification ,regardless of this I have cracks in that area that need attention.

Just out of interest is the angle changed fwd of rear ?,presume fwd...I don't know reason for asking.

tonyp the quote you received was really on the heavy side,as an engineer I don't see that kind of money involved,shop around perhaps.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, potto said:

This has been a great topic IMO,plan to drop my pegs down as I find with my long legs I feel I'am riding my bike like a jockey when sitting down :D,honestly don't like the position on my Monty 349 for gearshift and brake....not sure about changing steering head angle as I don't know for sure it has been done already,lots of Bombay welding been done there not sure its a repair or a modification ,regardless of this I have cracks in that area that need attention.

Just out of interest is the angle changed fwd of rear ?,presume fwd...I don't know reason for asking.

tonyp the quote you received was really on the heavy side,as an engineer I don't see that kind of money involved,shop around perhaps.

Bombay welding??? The cracks appearing are possibly down to the bamboo welding sticks.

Edited by section swept

On 3/22/2018 at 6:05 PM, feetupfun said:

The only weather limitations I have is that sometimes in summer it can be too humid to spray paint. Summer is workshop season here because it is usually too hot to ride except for a brief period in the evening before it gets too dark

Ditto here, my brief period is early in the morning, prior to 8am when it really starts to get hot. Evening before it gets dark is beer o' clock.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, potto said:

This guy has a shedload of videos about building and modifying old trials bikes, mainly British, but does some serious frame mods. Worth a watch ;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chaser said:

This guy has a shedload of videos about building and modifying old trials bikes, mainly British, but does some serious frame mods. Worth a watch ;)

Ah I see you are located on the IOW. In May a group of us came over from Port Solent in a couple of Azimuts, ended up dancing on the tables at the Folly??, brilliant time but bit dodgy? using the river taxi at midnight to get back to our moorings.

21 hours ago, section swept said:

Ah I see you are located on the IOW. In May a group of us came over from Port Solent in a couple of Azimuts, ended up dancing on the tables at the Folly??, brilliant time but bit dodgy? using the river taxi at midnight to get back to our moorings.

Ha Ha, the Folly is quite famous for the table dancing.

Perhaps you should bring the bikes next time and ride the IOW 2 day in April ;)

18 hours ago, chaser said:

Ha Ha, the Folly is quite famous for the table dancing.

Perhaps you should bring the bikes next time and ride the IOW 2 day in April ;)

That would be a nice thing to do, unfortunately my bike rebuild is not finished yet and other family stuff prevents this?