TL 125s front forks

ronwright

Looking for advice on the front forks of my 1976 Honda TL125. I want to change the fork oil and also possibly increase the pre load on the springs. The problem is I cannot work how you remove the top caps on the fork. They have a 10mm nut which is attached to the fork top. If you start to unscrew it nothing much seems to happen and it also does not seem to tighen up.

1.jpg

I believe there should be a circlip that holds the cap in place but it doesn't appear to be there. if you loosen the triple clamp bolt and push down on the cap from above you may be able to get it to loosen enough to see what is holding it all together.

This may or not be helpful to you but I’m fairly sure that Honda changed the make of fork to Showa 1976 ish? But as stated previously slacken the top yoke pinch bolt, apply a little WD40 or similar product. Make sure the bikes weight is supported and the front wheel has a block or something under it. Now work the spring top hat (10mm headed) anti clockwise and then clockwise while pushing down, this may expose that circlip mentioned, although from your picture it looks a bit tight, I think you will just need to keep turning that cap a/c there is normally about 20-30mm of threaded area to release. Prepare for the top to ‘let go’ upwards! Hope you succeed, let us know?

Thanks for the help so far but I am no further forward. Each fork has a nut and washer at the top of each fork leg. If you turn the nut [10mm socket] the washer also moves. Turning the nut either way neither tightens or slackens the nut. Looking from the top of the fork I can see that the washer has room to jam a small screwdriver into it against the fork stanchion which I did and lo and behold this held it sufficiently for me to remove the nut. Once the nut was removed I managed to lift the washer out and what do I find another identical washer which is held tight - no circlip to be seen !!

Really need to find someone with a TL who knows how to dismantle the forks.

Edited by ronwright

This parts list might help Ron https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-tl125s-trials-1976-usa_model1106/partslist/F++05.html#results

There's a picture of that top plug, p/n 13, and a spring clip that holds it in. By the shape of the spring seat you may have to depress said seat down about 6mm to gain access to the clip, p/n 16 

Hope that helps.

seat-setspring_big51460355305-01_ec87.jpg

ringstopper_big51456355003-01_a533.jpg

Edited by craig10
  • Like 1