Leeds newbie

Trial_o_dile

Hi everyone, 

Im completely new to motorbike trials. Not completely new to bikes, used to own a cbr 600 but decided road riding wasnt for me. Im now looking for my first bike and would like to know your thoughts. ( i know this has been covered a million times). 

Got around 2k to play with, from what i've read so far a 250 is the way to go. Iv seen a 14 gasgas for sale around my price range. Iv also seen a mint beta evo 290, my question is would a 290 be too much for me. I 5'11 and 15 n half stone..what do you guys think?? I know the best thing to do is try and ride each one to see for myself but none of my mates ride them and not sure where i could try them out. Would like to hear from anyone with similar experience. Could a 290 be tamed enough for a beginner? Seem to be more 290-300s than anything else that dont look like theyve been bashed about alot. Cheers.

Edited by Trial_o_dile

What ever you buy, there’s a thing called the throttle?and having last ridden a CBR600 you’ll know all about how to use it! So a 290 obviously will have a bit more umph than a slightly smaller 200/250; but these can be just as daunting?in some scenarios. The bigger engine will to some extent be more forgiving and maybe lugg you through any sections that catch you out; and that could be just walking the section let alone ride it. There that’s my take, with a nice reliable ‘new toy’ between your legs you can get on with gaining experience and enjoying Trials??

Also a complete trials newbie and just starting to get a feel for price/condition/vfm ahead of buying anything.

Know what you mean about soooo many 290/300s for sale compared to 125/200. I've decided, after reading the for/against posts, to avoid the larger ones and focus on 250 and under. May take longer for something to come up but I think it will probably be worth it in the long run.

At least you're in Yorkshire, the home of trials riding!

Well ive bought a 290cc beta evo now... 2010 model, was a really good price, after speaking to several riders, they said theres not much difference between the 250/290. I will let ya know how i get on with, will get out on it at the weekend. Whats the worst that could happen... lol.