Comerfords Tiger Cub

martinh

Hello, I'm restoring a 1962 Comerfords Tiger Cub. Has anyone got one of these so I can have some pictures? Just want to try and sort out what it should look like. Also, mine has a 4.00 rear tyre on it that rubs the swinging arm. Would the original bike have a had 3.50 or 3.75 tyre maybe? I know you can get wider rear frames. It if it came with standard width, I'd rather leave it like that. Thanks in advance! Martin. 

• Like 1

Roy Bacons book "Classic British Trials Bikes" is a good source of photos and history re your bike. Are you certaim its a genuine Commerfords Cub ? Not just a missrepresentation by the previous owner or just a bike once sold by Commerfords ? there is a difference. Also the swing arm may have been changed at some point as is commonplace. I dont remember Reg May modifying and selling Commerford Cubs back in 1962 but might be wrong. Good luck with the rebuild.

Edited by old trials fanatic

Yes, it's a genuine Comerfords Cub, I've got the paperwork for it, and the Tiger Cub Club have confirmed that it was supplied to and sold by Comerfords. I'll take a look on the web to see if I can find anymore pics. 

IMG_2231.JPG

IMG_2232.JPG

IMG_2233.JPG

• Like 1

Supplied to and sold by Commerfords doesnt make it a Commerfords Cub. If that were the case all the other bikes they were supplied with and sold were Commerfords whatevers. Sorry but looking at the photos thats not what people know as a Commerfords Cub. Thats like saying my James is a Mick Andrews James because hes ridden it 

A magazine did a couple of features on commerfords recently. This is the best image I can find at the moment.
I'll try and get a better one.

getimage.aspx?regionKey=MGDurPFMAOljRw5O

Edited by samwisemcg
the website wont let me mention a certain magazine
  • Thanks 2

No it is not mine, afraid i dont have pictures of the other side. I believe it is mostly original. It was bought new in october 68 by Hedley Cockshott, and was then traded in against a Bultaco. It now resides in Lancashire.

• 2 months later...

• 1 month later...
On 06/04/2018 at 5:16 PM, martinh said:

Hi Alan, great looking bike, is it yours? Do you have any pics of the other side of it? Also do you know what width rear tyre is on it? Thanks, Martin. 

They definitely had 400 x 18 rear tyres that did rub on both their swinging arm and chainguard. Or rather the mud carried by the tyre did! Still a problem with 'upgraded' trials Cubs these days. The alternative is that the engine is moved left putting the rig even more out of centre line balance!

Edited by stickinthemud

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/04/2018 at 1:48 PM, martinh said:

Yes, it's a genuine Comerfords Cub, I've got the paperwork for it, and the Tiger Cub Club have confirmed that it was supplied to and sold by Comerfords. I'll take a look on the web to see if I can find anymore pics. 

IMG_2231.JPG

IMG_2232.JPG

IMG_2233.JPG

Hi Martin.

The bike you have looks like a Comerfords Cub but it’s not quite right and I’ll check but I think, all of them came from one batch of Mountain Cubs sold to Comerfords in 66. 

I know this for two reasons, 1 Gordon Farley told me, they were works replica of the bikes built and used by Gordon and Roy Peplow in 64,65 and 66, in 1962 they were still riding 350’s and 2, I have all the paperwork for mine...

Your signature shows you live near Huntingdon, so do I if you want to look at mine..

Jon

Edited by jonnyp
  • Thanks 1