Any reason for a beginner not to get a 250 4t?

v1nn1e

Are they less manageable than the 2t?

Would a 250 4t be too much of a handful?

I'm buying second hand and older, hence restricted choice, as no point in anything too new for a numptie like me that will spend more time falling off than balancing! :rolleyes:

If you're completely new to motorbikes, I'd really recommend starting on a 125.  A 2 stroke 125 has enough power, but not too much if you go a bit whiskey throttle, and is a bit lighter so easier to drag out of a hole should you get stuck / fall off.

Some 4T bikes are apparently more harsh on the throttle compared to 2T ones of the same size (I don't know this personally, I've never been able to afford a 4T, lol), so if you're used to riding dirt bikes throw what you know about power bands out the window ...

I've ridden a Beta 4t and would recommend it for a beginner from a riding point of view, perhaps less so from the perspective of maintenance as, for example, removing the carb for routine cleaning out is a more complex task, then of course there's valves to keep adjusted. I ended up buying a Beta 125 for the simplicity and easy maintenance of a two stroke. 

Does anybody really go better on a fourstroke... maybe Sammy Miller, and Gorden Jackson had a good ride one year in Scotland, anybody else,  Perhaps Eddy Legeurne come to think of it ...but mere mortals, stick with a two stroke and not a too powerful one at that. 

A 250 4t would definitely Not be too much of a handful for a newbie...Since your looking at a used one, check it out well or have it checked out by a knowledgeable person or shop, could save you a ton of grief and cash.  

I'm sorry, but I just have to laugh when I see questions and answers like this. How long is a piece of string as they say?  I came back to Trials after not having ridden any kind of bike for 40 years. 3 years ago, I bought a 2000 Gas Gas 280 for the wife to learn to ride. I took turns with her until I bought a 2013 Jotagas 300. She has had a new knee fitted last September and is currently riding my old 2016 Sherco st300 while I have been riding a 2017 Sherco st300 Factory. She is 68 this year and later this year I will be 75. By the way. We BOTH use fast action throttles.

Edited by johnsandywhite
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, metisse said:

Does anybody really go better on a fourstroke... maybe Sammy Miller, and Gorden Jackson had a good ride one year in Scotland, anybody else,  Perhaps Eddy Legeurne come to think of it ...but mere mortals, stick with a two stroke and not a too powerful one at that. 

Toni Bou seems to do ok? (yes I agree he's maybe not just a mere mortal if he is mortal at all)

Edited by topline620

I went from gas gas 250's to a Montesa 4rt then a beta evo 300 4t... I wouldn't go back to a 2t as I find the 4t easier to find grip with and even the 300 is docile... My son rides an evo 300 4t considerable harder than I could even dream about but it's also mellow enough for my over 50's style!..We've also got a Rev 4T 250 which is even more docile.. Don't let the carb issue put you off... It's a bit tricky on both bikes but not difficult, just take your time.

Oil and filter change is easier than a Montesa, the filter has its own cover with three bolts and same oil for engine and clutch. I grant you that the valve adjustment will need the engine out but it shouldn't be a regular occourance to adjust them. If anything it'll give you the opportunity to give it a good clean and inspection if they do need doing. 

Any bike will run away if you get it wrong... And after a short time you'll perfect the art of bailing off the bike rather than holding on for too long!.. Good luck!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thall1 said:

I went from gas gas 250's to a Montesa 4rt then a beta evo 300 4t... I wouldn't go back to a 2t as I find the 4t easier to find grip with and even the 300 is docile... My son rides an evo 300 4t considerable harder than I could even dream about but it's also mellow enough for my over 50's style!..We've also got a Rev 4T 250 which is even more docile.. Don't let the carb issue put you off... It's a bit tricky on both bikes but not difficult, just take your time.

Oil and filter change is easier than a Montesa, the filter has its own cover with three bolts and same oil for engine and clutch. I grant you that the valve adjustment will need the engine out but it shouldn't be a regular occourance to adjust them. If anything it'll give you the opportunity to give it a good clean and inspection if they do need doing. 

Any bike will run away if you get it wrong... And after a short time you'll perfect the art of bailing off the bike rather than holding on for too long!.. Good luck!

That’ll be a five then! 

I had a Rev 4T 250.  Great bike, very easy to ride, but lots of little issues with those older bikes - hard to find parts these days (especially the shock) unless you know the right people.  I sold it and got an Evo 125 and don't regret it for one second, the little beta is so much more fun to ride.  I would avoid the 4T just for the maintenance issue alone, never mind that the 2T is lighter and easier to start.  125 still has enough power to toss you off if you mess up.

15 hours ago, johnsandywhite said:

I'm sorry, but I just have to laugh when I see questions and answers like this. How long is a piece of string as they say?  I came back to Trials after not having ridden any kind of bike for 40 years. 3 years ago, I bought a 2000 Gas Gas 280 for the wife to learn to ride. I took turns with her until I bought a 2013 Jotagas 300. She has had a new knee fitted last September and is currently riding my old 2016 Sherco st300 while I have been riding a 2017 Sherco st300 Factory. She is 68 this year and later this year I will be 75. By the way. We BOTH use fast action throttles.

Yes,  but there is riding and there is riding, when you start putting begins cards and a few markers carefully placed,  it changes everything and your all singing and dancing 300 Factory is going to cause a novice rider and or someone with a 40 odd year layoff... more problems than a nice gentle lower capacity bike, that is more than capable of doing everything you need of it. This is a common mistake made by sooooo many people for sooo many years they buy the wrong bike for their ability, because they can.

• Like 1

I went for a Montesa 4RT 260 as a Trails newbie although with years of riding road bikes.  The only concession I have made is to increase the size of the front sprocket by 1 tooth to slow things down on the tight corners, otherwise no problems.

You will be fine with a 4T unless as a newbie to motorbikes it would be best to go with a 125

I think the 250 4 stroke would be fine to get going on, I've stuck to 2ts but mainly because I have fond memories of 125/250 2 strokes when i started out on road bikes.

125s are more than capable for the majority of club riders, I have ridden a couple and they are great fun. I have been riding trials for a couple of years and if I was to start again I would go with a 125 for a while to get used to the technique etc then if its lacking in power step up to a 250 which, in my opinion is all 90% of riders will ever need. 

From my own relatively new experiences of trials, I started out on a 04 250 txt pro then for reasons unknown stepped up to a 300 2t evo, fitted the obligatory flywheel weight and slow throttle and it was a great bike, much fun mucking about with your mates. When it came to riding a trial super low speed stuff was not really the issue, or really slippy stuff when you could just use the torque and chug in a high gear. But in sections where you need to keep speed/hold a line and/or be a bit aggressive - rocky stream beds was a favourite particularly with a bank out with plenty of grip a bike length up it (mixed with novice throttle and clutch control) it had an amazing ability to sneak up on you and bite, hilarious for your mates watching!

Recently swapped back to a 250 gas gas and from the first couple of  rides I cant see me ever going back to a 300, the 250 is just more manageable for my level of riding. I just cant see me ever hitting any obstacle big enough to need any extra power.

I'm a novice, i ride in the south East so not many rocks but lots of mud, i have a evo 250 4t and its a great bike, smooth and easy, but will just keep pulling up climbs , i run premium fuel and i haven't had any carb issues, regular fuel is pretty variable and crappy. I've ridden a 300 2t and in the sloppy mud it's hard to find grip, I will say the Evo 250 2t is a lovely bike, i would consider that, but i have no regrets with the little 4t