02 txt 280 pro kickstarter

Clumsy Elder

Hello new to trials and this site.  I got a 2002 Gas Gas txt 280 pro and it runs fine.  However the kickstarter engages rather low, so it doesn't give me much throw before hitting the footpeg.  I engage it before kicking, but I am not sure what the previous owners may have done.   I moved the kickstart lever a spline on the shaft to get it further clockwise but can't go any farther clockwise with it and still have same problem.  I am hesitant to open up the case because I don't see a ready source of gaskets and parts.  Can someone advise me what is likely to be the cause, and where parts are found?  I am guessing maybe a tooth is missing on a rooster tail pawl and parts are unobtainium?

I'm just starting so I'll try moving the bars and levers around.  I'm 6'2" and have a fairly long reach.  I actually adjusted the levers down a few rides after I bought it from where they were to better match where my fingers were oriented.  

I agree something is wrong and I've watched that video.  I am trying to find a gasket for a decent price and have yet to find one for less than $30 to my door.  I suppose that is what I'll have to pay.  My guess is maybe the first tooth or two is missing on the partial gear.  Previous owner was in there doing something and rebuilt the water pump prior to my purchase.  If it is a broken gear I hope he removed the debris - all the more reason to go inside.

Be careful of rotating the kicker forward like that.  I had a friend that did that for the same reason and he ended up breaking soothing inside....maybe the gear in question.  GG seems to need a very quick kick to spin them fast enough to start.

loads of gaskets kick start gears in uk in shure trials and enduro direct will help you with your needs they are the main gas gas importer in the uk .good company to deal with i'm shure they will post stuff to you

Thank you all for your advice.  I moved the kickstart lever on the splines back to 1:00 as suggested.  The kickstarter gears engage when the lever is at about 10:00 to 10:30 which results in a short throw till it hits the footpeg.  Is that normal or should it engage closer to 11:00 or 12:00?

I rotated the handlebars forward to give about 2" more forward reach and leveled the brake and clutch reservoirs and lever assemblies.  I just rode it and with my inexperience it doesn't feel much different, but I am used to road bikes and sitting down.    

Sounds like I don't need to go inside the case from what you say.  Probably need to go to the gym and do squats or something to strengthen my aging legs - running regularly ain't doing it anymore.  Which is one of the reasons I bought a trials bike!  To use more balance, body English, etc.  I have a very hard time starting the engine with the bike not on a stand as my balance isn't good enough yet to stand still with the bike on the ground, engage the starter slowly, and kick quickly/sharply.  Maybe I should just practice that for now or put the front wheel up against something like a stump or tree.

My experience with my 2008 PRO is that a very definite starting ritual is required;  put it into 2nd gear ... let out the clutch ... roll back until you feel the resistance of the compression stroke ... pull in the clutch ... engage the starter until it stops ... quick hard jab (until it hits the foot peg). Might need to twist the throttle sightly while kicking. If it doesn't start, resist the temptation to just kick it again. Rather, repeat the procedure. Good luck.

• Like 1

That is one I have not heard - I'll have to try it.  Doing so would bring the piston up backwards just past compression - it will end up past TDC.  I reckon then when you jab the starter it spins freely more degrees of rotation before hitting compression in the right direction.  Maybe that gives more flywheel speed.

So funny ... just when you think you understand something, someone goes and looks at it from a different angle and sees something completely different (but which causes you to reevaluate your own understanding). :thumbup: You are correct; when you roll backwards you'd be positioning the piston as close to "after" :unsure: the TDC as you could. So when you kick you'd have maximum time until the next TDC. So perhaps the process works (as least for me) because you now have more time to impart energy into the system? Thanks for the reason to rethink this. And please do let us know if the process - for whatever reason - does work for you.

Starting the kick with the piston just past TDC is the same idea as what some 500cc Gold Star guys did using the compression release lever to ease it past TDC on the compression stroke, then kick briskly.  Some would crank it a couple times with no compression to juice it up.  Others would bring it partway up on the compression stroke, stop and release the pressure, then start the kick there so the first stroke didn't compress full length stroke, hence less gas and air.  Others would bump start them with 1 or 2 pushers.  On the 4 strokes the next compression cycle is 2 rotations away from the first TDC, so they would have more time to spin.  A 2 stroke it is going to compress every rotation.  I'll have to try the just past TDC on the txt.  With my aging abilities it might be just the ticket to get the rotational speed needed.  I also saw one fellow who said lay the bike over on its left side to flood the carb a bit first and that would help.  Flooding sounds like a bad idea to me on a 2 stroke, unless he is talking about the equivalent of carb tickling like on the old amals.  Or maybe he owns a spark plug company. 

I did not mention that I have installed a flywheel weight on my TXT and that may be improving the starting (by increasing the rotational mass).

I have recently purchased a 2008 GG280 for my very tall 13 year old son. He has difficulty starting my 300 so I will be installing in his bike a compression reducer; it's a 1mm thick metal shim between the top of the cylinder and the head. Hopefully the increased volume will make it easier to start. They're available from Lewisport.

Edited by d2w