02 txt 280 pro kickstarter

Clumsy Elder

Today I tried the rocking back and forth in 2nd ending with backwards, and kicking, but can't kick quick enough with my left foot on the ground.  I put it on the stand and got on the pegs and it started 1st kick.  My kick is dismal when I'm standing on the ground with my left foot.  So I'll have to learn the lean it on something to the left and get up on the pegs to get my weight up, then work  towards the balancing act standing still.  

11 hours ago, Clumsy Elder said:

Today I tried the rocking back and forth in 2nd ending with backwards, and kicking, but can't kick quick enough with my left foot on the ground.  I put it on the stand and got on the pegs and it started 1st kick.  My kick is dismal when I'm standing on the ground with my left foot.  So I'll have to learn the lean it on something to the left and get up on the pegs to get my weight up, then work  towards the balancing act standing still.  

I often will lean the handlebars on a tree when starting my bike.

I can start it with my left foot on the ground, but I must admit it is easier to start if I am "up on the pegs"

Glad to hear that you're making progress on starting your bike. I empathize with you when it just doesn't go. Make certain that the mechanics aren't working against you; use fresh gas ... clean air filter ... new spark plug (I've had good success with the Iridium-type plugs) ... correct jetting (including gas/oil mixture ratio) ... solid connections on the electrics (ground connection ... plug connection).

I think the bike is for the most part sorted out fine and I just need to improve my skills.  It starts fairly quickly if I put it on a stand and get up on the pegs, usually 2 or 3 kicks.  On the ground I don't succeed.  I think the leaning it thing will work if I'm out and about till I improve my balance.    I bought regular NGK BP5RES plugs and will go for iridium version (BPR5EIX) next time.   Not sure about jetting but it runs fine.  Electrics seems to make spark fine and there is no headlight unfortunately.  Air box has a crack but I keep after that sort of stuff.

I couldn't tell any difference with an Iridium plug. When engine is hot if it doesn't start 1st or 2nd kick I hold the throttle slightly open while kicking does the trick, had 3 Gassers and they all needed a good kicking. Also have some mates who could sometimes do with the same :D