Goggles or not?

tyguy

I'm going to do the IOW two day next weekend, and I've signed up to do the road route.  

I have an Airoh TTR helmet currently, which doesn't have a slide out visor.  I'm considering picking up a Hebo Zone 5 for £85 to use when I do more road work as it has the visor integrated.  

Do most people just use MX/Enduro goggles (I have plenty of them already)?  Seems like a right PITA to me...

Just get safety glasses from Screwfix.  Miles better, Light weight, cheap and don't steam up.  I use the £2.99 ones.  Never had a problem. Keeps the flies, overhanhging brushes & mud out your eyes. Just a cheap version that all the pro cyclists use to protect your eyes. Cheaper than spending £100 on a new helmet just for a couple of days.  

https://www.screwfix.com/c/safety-workwear/safety-glasses/cat850392?cm_sp=managedredirect-_-safetyworkwear-_-safetyspecs

Edited by gasserguy
  • Like 3

The Hebo Zone 5 is a lot heavier than other trials helmets (1200g against 900g for an Airoh) but you have to keep it in perspective. My old full-face that I used for karting weighed 1700g and karting generates a lot more lateral neck load. Although I use an Airoh and no goggles, I'm very aware that an overhanging branch or something flicked up by a bike in front could give an eye injury, even on a pocket-handkerchief course.

To be honest, my only concern is for the road work - even just trundling along at 30mph will make your eyes stream.   I think Ill go down the saftey specs route for now.....

Good point on the weight, 1200g is as heavy as both my full face enduro helmet and my road bike helmet! 

Are there any lighter helmets with an integrated visor? 

I had the Hebo heavier with visor in and  was handy, just switched to the lighter Zone 4 as thought better to have an advantage 99% of the time rather than the 1% on the road with rain - I do probably 10 road trials a year as well. 

safety specs worked well at the recent Powys S3 trial as weather was ok - they misted up a bit in the Lomax and the snow but think Goggle probably would too. 1 benefit of googles (if fixed to your helmet with tape or the special fixings)  is that its a one handed job to put on whilst on the move. I think with glasses it would need to be stop and use to hands to slide between helmet and your head..

If I was doing SSDT then it would be full goggles and face mask no question.

If the glasses are light enough you could just leave them on all the time (?)

I found goggles to be a faff to be honest, and have previously worn cycling sunglasses for the entirety of a trial without issues (though obviously that was on a nice sunny day, lol)

2 hours ago, tyguy said:

Good value - anyone used an Acerbis one?

I have the Acerbis one, and it is excellent value. My only negatives are that the visor is smoked and the helmet is a bit wide, obviously to accommodate the visor. I also have the Hebo one, which equally as wide.

I like the safety glasses idea :)

As you only have two eyes it makes a lot of sense to invest in the best. Your day will be ruined if anything at all should hit you in the eye, plus there’s the usual reaction to that which could see you have an accident you didn’t want! For the road a visor gives more protection because a small stone hitting you in the face alone can be very painful and distracting. Proper goggles m/x style or ski type offer your eyes good protection. There is a few riders that use old style gas welding goggles with just the clear screw on lenses, but you tend to look like a WW2 Japanese Kamikaze pilot? The more stuff your helmet has the more unwieldy it becomes and neck pain is not a nice thing to develop and ride with, keep it light but keep it safe it’s just the one head after all!?‍♂️??

On 4/13/2018 at 9:58 AM, gasserguy said:

Just get safety glasses from Screwfix.  Miles better, Light weight, cheap and don't steam up.  I use the £2.99 ones.  Never had a problem. Keeps the flies, overhanhging brushes & mud out your eyes. Just a cheap version that all the pro cyclists use to protect your eyes. Cheaper than spending £100 on a new helmet just for a couple of days.  

https://www.screwfix.com/c/safety-workwear/safety-glasses/cat850392?cm_sp=managedredirect-_-safetyworkwear-_-safetyspecs

I used safety glasses for road work in all the SSDT that I rode. Cheap & easy to replace if they get a bit scratched.