Showa rear absorber

degreestudio

Hello,

Does anyone know what the bottom screw is for on the Showa rear absorber ? Its located beside the nitrogen valve.

Is it for adjustment or service ?

Also, what is the model name or type of this absorber and is there softer spring available for light weight rider ? Standard should be K8.0 and 70kg to 80kg ?

Thanks

cimg2010.jpg

Edited by degreestudio

I am around 62kg and have always found the Showa spring to be to strong and the damping to slow for me even when wound to full soft. Could not find a softer spring ready made (possible to have one made)

I went with a TRP rear shock with a 62kg spring back in 2006 and found the TRP perfect for me and has not required any service despite regular competition use.

I have just purchased a new aluminium body TRP for my 300RR, same excellent performance and approx 550gm lighter than the Showa and a reasonable price.

On the same topic, I'm a guy who has rebuilt alot of shocks in my life, but I haven't opened up my showa yet.  Before I do, are there any tips?  I suspect the larger diameter bottom has a dual sealed floating piston?  Or is it a different arrangement? 

I'm thinking I could do a quick service on it if it's a floating piston rather than a bladder of some kind. 

Jon 

Hi,

Yes it has a bladder:

pulmon-goma-aire-recambio-amortiguador-showa-trial.jpg.f93903cac9efc941412a4448b49ba376.jpg

I'm also interested in this thread. I'll try to fit on a TRS (has a little U instead the bottom rose bulb, so it's necessary to machine a new one).  Anyone knows if this part (it isn't in the photo) is screwed on the reservoir?

Thanks,

JM

I had a new bottom part CNC machined, cost me 110 euro , 200 euro complete rebuild and service. the guy said it was a nightmare , wish he hadn't taken it on. next time I'll just bite the bullet and buy a trp.

Thanks Snowball. Did he machine the set reservoir+bottom holder?  In what sense a nightmare?

I like very much the showa because is very sensitive at low speed and enough strong at high velocity.  It weighs a little more than modern reiger/öhlins, but give a bonus in traction.

Thanks,

JM

he machined the bottom, new valve etc, it's not as rounded as the old one which he tried to weld after it cracked on the swing arm but welding it did not seal the bladder. he just wasted his time on an old shock, it feels fine on the bike but an 18 year old shock is 18 years old. thank God I only weigh 70kgs.

Many thanks!  I'll try to use the same reservoir/bladder with a different final.  If the reservoir cracks, then will try to make a DeCarbon system with a new, smaller, bottom end to reduce weight

Cheers,

JM