Clutch bite point keeps moving?

leembarnes

Hi All

Got a Trs recently was pretty much brand new only had about 6 hrs use. I've done another 15hrs on it in the last month.  The biting point of the clutch keeps moving...I'll ride for an hour or two with it set for me and it's perfect and then almost inexplicably the bite point moves. I re adjust it and it's fine again. 

Everything is tight as it should be etc adjusters, fluid levels all ok.

Finished riding last Sunday and it was set correct, started it today and the bite point has moved at least 5mm closer to the bars! Re adjust again.

Any thoughts?? I thought it may settle down with a few hours use on the bike but it doesn't appear to be doing so.

Cheers 

Hi,

The point goes back and forth or only progress in the same way?

May be a bubble in the hose that dilates when hot.  The bikes are shipped with handlebars upside down and this may cause thins like yours.

Undo the lever and reservoir, put the most vertical as you can and operate the lever.  Let overnight in this position and see what happens next day.  If not success, it may be necessary to bleed the circuit (mineral oil).

If this also hasn't success, you should check the integrity of piston in the master cylinder.  What year is your bike?  A batch of braktec were recalled in 2017's shercos due to a sharp orifice in the master bore.  The behaviour was similar to yours, but these issues are not documented in TRS.

Cheers, JM

Thanks JM for those suggestions will try the lever in the vertical this evening. It's a 2017 model. It tends to move either way at present sometimes out on occasion but mostly in towards the bars so it's creeping forwards when it's previously been disengaged. Never experienced this on any other bike so is a bit baffling hope what you suggest will do the trick. Cheers

I've had a master cylinder that didn't leak but wouldn't hold enough pressure to bleed.

Also I've had a clutch on a gas gas that would draw in air overnight , I was at the Reeth 3 day trial. If I pumped the lever the bite point woul return to normal. Changed the hose and it was fine but I never found the actual leak. 

I think your issue has to be hydraulic, is the fluid level  correct in the master cylinder?

If the bite point is moving in, that definitely sounds hydraulic to me. Depending on your ambient temps, the bite point will generally move out (in the form of less drag) as the bike warms up, but I've never heard of the bite point moving in.

One random thought that springs to mind... are you using quick adjusters on the levers? Are they holding their place with enough spring tension? I can see them maybe turning on their own if not... maybe put a witness mark on them and make sure they're not moving around by themselves.

Edited by heffergm

On ‎30‎.‎04‎.‎2018 at 8:22 PM, heffergm said:

One random thought that springs to mind... are you using quick adjusters on the levers? Are they holding their place with enough spring tension? I can see them maybe turning on their own if not... maybe put a witness mark on them and make sure they're not moving around by themselves.

I had exactly this Problem on my TRS 250 RR 2017.

It took some month to figure it out :wall:

Then I solved the problem with some teflon tape on the thread of the quick adjuster, to have a higher retention.

Then the clutch worked perfect...

Thanks for the further suggestions! Standard adjusters on at present with locking nuts tightened...and then really tightened when I thought they may be working loose! Sounds like hydraulic is the probable cause. I've had the reservoir elevated for a day to encourage any air to rise. Will try it at the wknd and proceed to bleeding if no joy. Thanks again for all the help.

• 2 weeks later...