Reed effects on engine character

totty79

Got out today on my 250 with the new v-force reeds installed, bike does pull stronger from idle to mid range, but the Boyseen reeds pulled harder from mid to top end. Still feels a little rich, will need to play with it a little more. Theses reeds would further smooth out a 300. As comparison i even rode my friends stock 2016 250 Evo. It still felt stronger than my 2017 factory. Today was full traction everywhere, so you couldn't go wrong. On those wet muddy, slippery off cambers root's, my 2017 Factory will find grip better. Riding on grippy dry rocks, big screaming uphills, you would like the Boyseen's better on a 250.  You would probably get more value for your dollars playing with flywheel weights.

Here You can see how wide and well the carbon type Boyesen reeds are opening at a Beta TR 34, the shadow was created by the fuel gas mixture that constantly washed the walls of the intake.

It looks too me that the carbon reeds open very well. They worked flawless but one reed showed a bit wear where the reeds hitted the cage. The reeds where too not parallel to the reedcage, thus replaced them now after 15 days of riding, (Motoalpinismo).

WP_20180217_18_32_59_Rich.jpg

• Thanks 1

Wear after 15 days really doesn't sound great.

Not sure about compromising top end with vforce either.

Might try the remaining option, the dual stage boyesen power reeds. Although now I've adjusted to the bike as is I might not bother, but it feels like a cop out after asking for opinions.

It was constantly riding in high mountain areas where the routes where between 30 - 50km and 50 - 100km per day. That is much more what you will archive during training or most trials events.

The carbon reeds are suppose to have a limited time of use and before anything crack I replace them.

Last not least, no adjustment in need everything worked great with the once adjusted carb.

The differences to me are the much more sensitive throttle response with the carbon reeds compared with other reeds, this is once experienced something I won't miss in future so I don't claim.

V351C - Raised the clip on the needle yesterday, adjusted the air screw, seems to be running a little crisper, pulling better up and down the driveway. Find out on the weekend how it works out in the field.

So i spent a few hours on the Beta 250 2T (with the recently installed V-Force v351C reedblock) today, the changes i made seemed to work well, pulls smooth and even, then after about 15 minutes into the ride i would loose power, would surge and seemed to be running out of gas, barely idle, stalled a few times after jumping up a ledge. Adjusted the air screw to two and a half turns. Then it seemed to clear itself up, didn't have any trouble after that. Water in my gas perhaps?

• 1 year later...

It took me a while to get around to it but I've fitted boyesen power reeds.

Unfortunately the original reeds had one petal sitting a couple of mm off the block so I can't provide any useful feedback on the difference they made. It feels like a different bike but that's to be expected. Very stall resistant and responsive from idle, which I wanted, and much stronger mid range.

• 3 weeks later...

I switched to Boyesen Dual Stage on my Beta Evo 250 2010. Engine seems to be smoother from low to mid revs. Difficult to judge if it is really better. Changed the Pilot jet from 48 to 50, idle seems stronger and more stall resistant now. Needle was at 6th position (almost all the way up) I'm going to try to lower the needle 1 or 2 positions to get a snapier of idle blip.