16 vs. 18

RainyDaze

2 hours ago, oldtrialer said:

Or you could go the cheaper route and get an Oset 24 if you are not too big. I've had mine for a year now, and it is the perfect play bike. After 40 years on gas trials bikes, it was easy to go back to the 70's riding style on the Oset. With the wider rear wheel and the spare battery I just got, I'm still only in for about $5500.

I am seriously considering the OSET too. I’m 200lbs, probably 220 geared up, which is a little higher than they recommend. 

It seems a bit more like a toy, but my primary goal is back yard riding so it could be perfect. 

I’m sure I could learn a lot on it and upgrade to a proper trials bike later without losing as much money on resale. 

I know a guy with an OSET and he said he’d let me ride it for a couple days. I’m really looking forward to giving it a try. 

6 hours ago, oldtrialer said:

Or you could go the cheaper route and get an Oset 24 if you are not too big. I've had mine for a year now, and it is the perfect play bike. After 40 years on gas trials bikes, it was easy to go back to the 70's riding style on the Oset. With the wider rear wheel and the spare battery I just got, I'm still only in for about $5500.

@oldtrialer: What did the OE spare battery set you back? The Oset UK site listed it at $1450 when I did the conversion!

2 hours ago, oldtrialer said:

Oset US gave me a deal at $900. About $100 off. I guess they like that I'm riding events with it and giving test rides.

I heard the EM replacement battery is $2500!?!? How's that for sticker shock? They are probably embarrassed to list it on their website parts catalogue. I understand they will refurb a battery pack for much less money though. 

• 4 weeks later...

I should rename this threat to '16 vs. '19. They just announced the new '19 models today http://www.electric-motion.fr/en/EMSport-2/ 

I still have not pulled the trigger on anything. I'm waiting to see what the specs, pricing, and availability will be of the Mecatecno Dragonfly, due out next week. My local dealer still has the'16 EM Sport, but it's only falling further behind in enhancements now.

I don't understand how the Dragonfly is going 30lbs lighter than the EM, and it has a clutch and gears. Maybe that's a dry weight, without the battery?!?!

• Like 1

I was looking at the Zero trail bike last night, started production in 2016 and by mid 2017 the range had doubled ... worth holding on to your cash IMO!

I'm still waiting for that elusive universal twinshock electric conversion kit ...

8 hours ago, turbofurball said:

I was looking at the Zero trail bike last night, started production in 2016 and by mid 2017 the range had doubled ... worth holding on to your cash IMO!

I'm still waiting for that elusive universal twinshock electric conversion kit ...

Are you talking about the zero FX? Looks more like a dual sport bike than dirt bike, and definitely far from a trials bike.

I am indeed, and a dual sport is a dirt bike in my book!

My point wasn't that it was a trials bike, but that the battery, recharge, and speed controller technology is moving forwards at a high rate on knots ... electric trials bikes will follow suit and come down in price as it matures :)

7 hours ago, turbofurball said:

I am indeed, and a dual sport is a dirt bike in my book!

My point wasn't that it was a trials bike, but that the battery, recharge, and speed controller technology is moving forwards at a high rate on knots ... electric trials bikes will follow suit and come down in price as it matures :)

Agreed, technology is changing fast. If I buy one of these electric gizmos I'm leaning towards just getting the latest and greatest available, understanding it'll be obsolete before long. I may lose quite a bit of cash when I go to sell it, but I want a backyard bike now, and someone has to support these companies by buying early release models. It could take 5 more years before electric becomes more mainstream and that's too long to wait for me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2018 at 4:47 PM, RainyDaze said:

I should rename this threat to '16 vs. '19. They just announced the new '19 models today http://www.electric-motion.fr/en/EMSport-2/ 

I still have not pulled the trigger on anything. I'm waiting to see what the specs, pricing, and availability will be of the Mecatecno Dragonfly, due out next week. My local dealer still has the'16 EM Sport, but it's only falling further behind in enhancements now.

I don't understand how the Dragonfly is going 30lbs lighter than the EM, and it has a clutch and gears. Maybe that's a dry weight, without the battery?!?!

Hello RainyDaze, I own a 2016 EM Escape Ryan Young imported that year. I had been in TrialsCentral before & didn't find any EM threads. So, excuse me for being a little late to this one.

p1020303-X2.jpg

If you were still considering 2018 vs 2016 EM, I'd recommend the 2016, assuming they will include the 3-map selector box that appeared in 2017 for that price. I installed one on mine, so its basically the same as '17s & '18s, and worth the upgrade for the Escape.

Yes, if your major concern is re-sale value after a short time ... 2018. Otherwise they are almost the same. The battery tech did not change thru '18, and these batteries really only age with charge cycles. Sitting (charged) does not age 'em.

I'm about to install LHRB lever to replace eclutch lever on mine. So it will match my MTBs with moto brakes also. Frame design vs. forks give it more of a dirtbike turning radius vs. trials-bike. Still working on my front-tire pivot turns. ;-) Throttle-only power control takes some practice if you are good with a clutch. Its different. Non-riders love it. Clutchers give it the hairy-eyeball initially, but they usually return it with a smile on their faces.

The 2019 models have major battery, motor, controller, tranny, & a real eClutch upgrades available. Don't know when they will be available or details, but I do know the new tech is not compatible to upgrade pre-2019 models.

Just a few EM clues I have. My new knee is just letting me ride Ms.EM in the backyard again. YEA!!!  Hoping to be competing in PITS before the end of the year. :-)

Good luck with your eTrials Bike adventure!

Catfish ...

• Thanks 1

Awesome feedback. Thanks you Catfish!

I'm a little surprised EM owners have not created a stronger user community to share tips, tricks, etc. If they have, I have not found it yet. From the little bit of feedback I have been able to find most EM owners are quite happy with the bike. There was one for sale recently on a US trials for sale FB group, and he changed his mind as he found the EM more fun and easier to maintain than his GasGas 300. 

The turning radius must only be noticed while riding due to frame geometry as you mentioned. My local dealer has a Sherco, Beta, and EM sitting side by side and I couldn't tell a significant difference between them. Since they are new bikes they won't let me ride them all back to back in the parking lot.

I'm intrigued by the new Mecatecno and the '19 EM Sport. The Mecatecno has a mechanical clutch, gears, and claims to be 60kg vs. 70kg for the '19 EM sport. On the flip side, the Mecatecno is a first year bike that's bound to have some growing pains, and support here in the US may not be so good. I think EM is the safer bet, but that Mecatecno is really sexy. Bob Billard from EM said the 2019's will be available in Sept, and the Mecatecno is giving guidance of Oct-Dec. 

Oh what to do, what to do... I could go buy that '16 and be riding tomorrow!