WOW- What a bike !!

animal1806

Hello everyone,

Just thought I would share with you my current experience of a 4RT. I currently ride a 2006 Beta and am looking at treating myself later this year. Have been looking at a Factory Sherco or a Vertigo, then my cousin who currently rides a 2015 4Rt said "why don't you try mine?" So yesterday I rode a trial on it and my god what a bike. Completely threw me off my guard, lovely balanced bike gave me loads of confidence and such smooth power delivery. Don't get me wrong conditions were wonderful and I only rode the Novice, but rode every section in first gear and cannot get over how much torque it has and how smooth it was. Am currently still smiling about it now :D I was also lucky enough to have ago on a 2015 Sherco and I preferred the Montesa. Have excepted that I may need to knock 6 months out of competing to get used to the gearing but that is a price I am willing to pay for a lovely bike. I would say to anyone don't be like me and think OOO 4 stroke no thanks, have ago it could change you. And yes i know it is all down to personal preference if you want a 2 stroke or 4 stroke but I thought i would share with you my experience. Lets just say I will be purchasing one later this year, and i can't wait. :D

• Like 2

Before you ooze too much, only top lad on one is Toby Martyn and he's done very well to make the 2t to 4t switch

Watching most 4RT's this week @ SSDT, it's plain to see they are donkeys (even in some very capable hands) in relation to most of the 2t's ridden by ordinary riders and they spin out very easily on mixed terrain and then it's game over and you're pushing it out of the section

They suit a very aggressive riding style

Try a Beta 4T, you may like it better

Edited by johnnyboxer
  • Like 2

I disagree with the comment they suit a very aggressive riding style.  I don't ride that way and love my 07 4RT and my 2017 300RR and have no issues riding at a slow and nicely controlled pace.  One of my best riding friends has a 4RT and dose very well on his at the lower level (novice I think) with his.

I have also been more aggressive on mine and in comparison to the 2T's I have been on it rewards me about the same when I do.  

Maybe its just my stile of riding, or maybe its the way I set the bike up but what ever it is I find them to be great in every condition I have been in on them.  

My 2 cents.  

• Like 1

A couple of years ago my Gas Gas packed up after the first day of the Manx 2 Day. I borrowed a friends 4RT (think it was an '09) having never ridden a four stroke in anger before and literally had the most fun on a bike I'd had in ages!! Completely converted me and have since bought one and love riding it.

Haven't really found it lacks in any particular place if you know how to ride it, can plod around on it or can use it aggressively. Just a lot of fun and they sound good too!!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jonnyc21 said:

I disagree with the comment they suit a very aggressive riding style.  I don't ride that way and love my 07 4RT and my 2017 300RR and have no issues riding at a slow and nicely controlled pace.  One of my best riding friends has a 4RT and dose very well on his at the lower level (novice I think) with his.

I have also been more aggressive on mine and in comparison to the 2T's I have been on it rewards me about the same when I do.  

Maybe its just my stile of riding, or maybe its the way I set the bike up but what ever it is I find them to be great in every condition I have been in on them.  

My 2 cents.  

Do you have much rain in Boise?

In uk with wet and slimy, moss covered rocks that may be a different proposition on a 4T

• Like 1

7 hours ago, johnnyboxer said:

Do you have much rain in Boise?

In uk with wet and slimy, moss covered rocks that may be a different proposition on a 4T

I used to live near Seattle WA.  Got my 07 when I lived there.  

Been there on my 300 recently as well, go back often to visit family and friends.  So ya, play in and played in the mud and moss plenty on my Montesa's...

Edited by jonnyc21

The top lads don’t ride them because they are hard to get the best out of compared to a 2t ,they take time and patience to get the hang of riding them ,but when you find the sweet spot and it all comes together they are a very rewarding bike to ride and put a smile on your face ,before anyone calls them uncompetitive have a look at John sunter going round the Scott...

• Like 2

I've an 09 Gas Gas 250 which I am thinking of changing. I have recently been lucky to get to try a 2018 Beta 300 ss, a 2018 Sherco 250 factory, a 2017 Sherco 250 and a 2017 Montesa 4rt.

I'm a novice and all felt superior to my Gas Gas but my favourite was the 4rt (closely followed by the Beta) the motor is just stunning and I was immediately able to tackle stuff I struggle with on my Gas Gas.

I've read lots about a so called lack of grip but I thought the grip was incredible, even on the very greasy hills. Maybe it just suits my riding style?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1