Maybe buying 2002 Rev 3 270

rootsman2

As luck, good or bad, will have it I might be doing some horse trading for a 2002 Beta Rev 3 270. My fellow club member's 10 year son rides it and it is too much bike and he looks at my Sherco 125 with those eyes ... you know the ones we get when we fall in love with a new (to us) bike. And the truth is it is a better fit for him and his is a better fit for me. I am making the jump from vintage to modern (or I should say riding both). I bought the Sherco 125 so I could be schooled in modern technique - I've never used a clutch and brakes cannot be counted on. I ride a Bull Sherpa 250 and love it. I tried bigger modern bikes but they get away from me and I get in trouble and that freaks me out. I'm just not a fan of launching myself off the side of a mountain into outer space. Can anyone expound upon the personality of the 2002 Rev 3 270? I am a novice level rider and have to ambitions to ever hop rocks. Thank you, Cheers. Travis

Hi Travis - I have a 2007 Rev 3 270. I am a beginner and I chose it because there was a nice example nearby, I had heard good things about Rev 3s and I got excited and probably a bit carried away!! Having said that I have not experienced any frights from it. I ride it very steadily on red wobbler's routes and I seem to stay in second for every section. I do use the clutch - probably too much, but when I try not to it doesn't seem to mind and I've found it hard to stall it. Maybe mine is a bit old and tired and therefore not like it was when it was new, but it suits me. Other riders at my club who have 250s and 200s tried it and said it was a bit of a handful but I think they rev their engines more and ride with a different style - when you rev mine it does have a lot of power, but I guess you get used to things. I think I'd choose a smaller engine next time (and I loved the feel of a beta 4 stroke I tried the other day) , but this isn't beyond me to control. I guess you need to try a swap one afternoon and see how you do.