Struggling

Hi all I am really struggling to progress the biggest problem I have is just having nowhere to practice and No one to practice with 

When I am at a trial I find some sections very easy and clean all the time and some reall hard like lucky to get a 3 but then I  cant practice so every trial is the same and No progress is being made I find it very hard to ride in the rocky burns and over any sort of obstacle I just cant get any rear wheel lift to get over and just clatter into then I need to practice getting back wheel up I watch videos on YouTube all the time I know what I should be doing but just nowhere to practice it any thoughts on what I could do 

Diesel 2607    How about Randolph's Leap or Sueno Stone ....   I have family in Forres & Elgin.....

Even the mechanics ground.....  Surely there are lots of places around there.

if you have a specific problem work on that, start small. On a piece of flat ground with a small rock and  try "helping" the back wheel over it. Then progress. Try contacting the inverness club, im sure they have a trial soon and you can help mark out sticking in a few flags and riding at the same tome with experienced riders will help no end.

9 hours ago, billyt said:

Diesel 2607    How about Randolph's Leap or Sueno Stone ....   I have family in Forres & Elgin.....

Even the mechanics ground.....  Surely there are lots of places around there.

Thanks for reply Randolph leap  would be good just seems like to many people there would be probably kicked off the ground pretty quickly I thought I had somewhere to go but 2 other guys use the ground and the farmer doesn't want a third person up there 

1 hour ago, nigel dabster said:

if you have a specific problem work on that, start small. On a piece of flat ground with a small rock and  try "helping" the back wheel over it. Then progress. Try contacting the inverness club, im sure they have a trial soon and you can help mark out sticking in a few flags and riding at the same tome with experienced riders will help no end.

My problem is going over rocks rear wheel lift and riding in the burns I just don' have anywhere to practice I am going to the Inverness trial next week but I just go round it myself as not many ride the easiest route all the trials are an hour and a half from me so a fair distance to go to setup the closest one to me was cancelled this year 

34 minutes ago, nigel dabster said:

so you can lift the back up and over a rock in your drive?

I don't have any decent size rocks to go over and also no drive I only have bricks or a log but that is to narrow I fall off the side and also a bit big for me to get over at the moment 

I don't think I have ever heard of anyone 'lifting the back wheel'...  Lifting the front wheel, yes.   Then wait for the rear wheel to slam into the rock, which will give lots of grip, and as long as you have enough power on, the bike will get over the step.   Always watch where the contact patch of the front wheel is going, you can almost forget about the rear tyre.

8 hours ago, scifi said:

I don't think I have ever heard of anyone 'lifting the back wheel'...  Lifting the front wheel, yes.   Then wait for the rear wheel to slam into the rock, which will give lots of grip, and as long as you have enough power on, the bike will get over the step.   Always watch where the contact patch of the front wheel is going, you can almost forget about the rear tyre.

Lifting the rear is a normal thing in trials riding. Some people call it unweighting the rear

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, scifi said:

Lifting the back wheel is a good technique to practice, some steps are so undercut that there isn't anything for the back wheel to slam into.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Something that helped me when I didn't have others to ride with was to video myself and then playing that video and play a video of someone doing it correctly and comparing them.  Then when I would try again I could try to adjust for the visual difference between the two.