Sherpa Electronic Ignition

yamanx

OK, I am going to fit electronic ignition, I realise not all you guys see a need for it. But I am going to fit it :)

So do I:

Use the existing flywheel? Heavier for possible momentum and what the engine was designed for.

Or

Get the lightweight internal one? Lighter, (Revyer?), far easier to set up, install and maintain.

Changing to electronic ignition may give you a more noticeable crisp engine all things being equal. Depending on who’s kit you fit, you may as well keep the standard heavy flywheel, the whole point in having a big fat consistent spark is to allow the engine to pull well. Revy engines need a different riding style in most cases and you might find your bike too lively in sections. As a mute point should you suffer an ⚡️ignition failure contact breaker ignition is easier to fault find and rectify ?miles from anywhere, whereas unless you carry a big load of expensive spares and test meters....oh and a good torch ( it may get dark before you get running again) you find yourself pushing the bike home???? No disrespect to any electronic ignition makers etc I’m sure their products are good but it’s when they leave the safe environment of the delivery parcel that things can start to go wrong??

• Like 1

I have three Sherpas, a M199B, a M199 and a M159. I have an In Motion CDI on the M199B and it is brilliant. The auto advance in the CDI is great. This makes the engine in the B seem very nice even though it is a M151 engine. It always starts and it always runs very nicely. The other engines are both nice the M199 has to be a Wednesday motor as it runs really well but you can only tune it for bottom end or quicker revs where as the CDI you can have both with no changes. I run the standard flywheel on all of them with 250 primary drives on them all. Graham.

• Like 1