Shocks query

cota172

I recently bought a Montesa Cota 172 project which needs shocks.  As it is doubtful I will ever use the bike for competition I don’t need anything too flash, but I don’t want rubbish either.  Ideally I would like something that:

1)  Works as well or better than the original shocks would have.

2) Something that will be good quality and last well.

I had found a couple of choices and was hoping to get some feedback from somebody who has actually had experience with them.

NJB Clubman trial £72

Betor €100

OZO (Inmotion) expert trials £82.50

Feked expert trials £88

Am I right in assuming that the shocks sold by both Inmotion and Feked are both rebadged Betors?

The Betors come in both oil and gas versions for the same price according to their website.  They don’t say whether either version is rebuildable?

Feked state that their version is re-valved to suit trials. It appears from the photo that these may be rebuildable.  Is this correct?

The NJB are the cheapest and I assume they are not rebuildable?

Which shocks would you pick and why?  Is there another brand in this price range I should consider?

Thanks in advance

Well as you say “it is doubtful I’ll ever ride it in competition” why worry about rebuildable shocks, go for the ones that best suit your aesthetic views about the 172. All the shocks you mention would do good service, it’s just that they are not fine tuneable like the more expensive versions. More important to select the correct length to keep the bike looking right?

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies. The only reason I mentioned rebuildable shocks was for reliability. As long as the spare parts are available they should be able to be kept going for ever. 

Anybody else have experience with these shocks?