oil change in TRS 280 RR

gassergod

The current recommendation only became 'definitive' when TRS got around to inking a deal with NILS. Prior to that they spec'd ATF, which is likely what most people in the US use in it as that's what the importer still recommends. That said, any light gear oil like silkolene light, Maxima MTL, etc will also work. 

• Like 1

I have taken a bit of interest in transmission oils and the potential influence on clutch action, cold grab, lightness and/or aggressiveness and then related those to viscosity and viscosity index while also respecting lubrication of other rather important parts and bearings. I have tried different oils and listened and read of others experiences and 'gospels'. I have constructed a spreadsheet and sorted by viscosity at 40°C (see pdf attached) from manufacturers specifications (some are hard to track down) and then found a website (see the link on the attached pdf) where you can plot the change in viscosity with temperature - with pics put into the pdf. Another link on the pdf explains Viscosity Index and it seems to me that for trials where great variations in speed, load and temperature exist perhaps a high Viscosity Index (VI) oil would be appropriate to maintain the optimum viscosity (if we even have any idea what that would be). For my style of riding (no instantaneous huge splat walls) I like progressive and light clutch action and I like to change my oil every 10 hours, so I also like to look at price comparisons for similar viscosities and viscosity index. Of course there is no perfect answer as we are all different in our riding ideals but maybe this sheet might give you something more to ponder and try. There are oils on the list that may not be available where you are, in the same way some on the list I cannot get downunder and haven't tried them. If interested, I use Chief Oil's - Mohican ATF Dexron III (and buy 4L for less than the price of 1L of some other oils on the list). But I am no oil expert and none of the above is validated for viscosities and temperature and thus it is all just my thoughts and experiences and certainly not challenging the manufacturers - or the oil experts. So whatever works and is available for you, works for you; in the same way that what I use and have available works for me. :)

Gear Oil comparisons.pdf

• 2 months later...

Since getting the new bike I've been using Putoline GP10 but it has been hard to find neutral till the bike was really warm, today i tried Rock oil light gear oil for the first time and from cold it had a really smooth gear change got slightly notchy as it got really warm, so light oil seems to be the way forward. I used Elf HTX 740 in my old TRS and it worked very well but I got sick of paying £26 a litre when I change the oil every 3-4 rides.

Edited by taff_d

I now use the NILS stuff Taff.

My clutch was fine on dexron 3 atf from the local car accessory shop.

However I then bought GRO trial specific ATF and used that , it made the clutch pack swell (GRO!!!) and so the clutch became heavy.

so I swapped one of the fibre plates to get back to the correct pack height and i've stuck to the recommended NILS since and had no more problems.