Placement of stickers/decals

cornishflyer

Hi everyone,

I'm getting close to applying the decals to my tank and side panels. The sticker kit I have has some bits I'm not sure about. I've had a rummage through the undergarments of the internet but surprisingly can't find any close ups of the top of the tank. My bike is a M158. 

Does anyone know where the "sherpa" sticker goes?

How about the "made in spain" sticker?

Finally, the side cover stickers have an arrow next to the 250 text, yet all of the 158s I see photos of don't have that. I guess I should just cut that off?

Cheers

The "Made in Spain", decal usually goes between the petrol cap and the steering stem, about two thirds distance, closer to the steering stem.

The "Sherpa" is usually afixed between the saddle and the petrol cap at about four fifths distance from he saddle, in other words closer to the petrol cap, at a inclined 45' angle.

If memory serves me correctly, your model didnt have the arrow, just the 250 on the side panels.

41 minutes ago, model80 said:

The "Sherpa" is usually afixed between the saddle and the petrol cap at about four fifths distance from he saddle, in other words closer to the petrol cap, at a inclined 45' angle.

Thanks model80. Is that 45 degrees CW(/) or CCW (\)

5 hours ago, cornishflyer said:

Hi everyone,

I'm getting close to applying the decals to my tank and side panels. The sticker kit I have has some bits I'm not sure about. I've had a rummage through the undergarments of the internet but surprisingly can't find any close ups of the top of the tank. My bike is a M158. 

Does anyone know where the "sherpa" sticker goes?

How about the "made in spain" sticker?

Finally, the side cover stickers have an arrow next to the 250 text, yet all of the 158s I see photos of don't have that. I guess I should just cut that off?

Cheers

I think you have bought a sticker kit from Peter S in Victoria, his sticker kit is not 100% correct for your 158/159 model, nor is it correct for 182/183 or 190/191. I'm confident the below pic is the 158/159 brochure from back in the day, as soon as I saw it on a google images search it immediately reminded me of the brochure I once had for my 158 back in the mid 1970's. Stripes on side panels started with mod's 198/199 for Australia. 

M159 Sales Brochure Picture.jpg

IMG_5931.JPG

Edited by fourex
  • Like 2

If you want it authentic a 158 shouldn’t have a sherpa sticker on the tank pretty sure they had the 1975 world champion sticker instead 

The sherpa sticker is from 198/199 models yours should have the round sherpa t on the side panels I’m not too sure if your model had the made in Spain sticker either 

If you bought the stickers in a kit you’ll probably find the the Bultaco tank sticker smaller in height and length than the original, in those kits they are 198/199 size

Heres a link that has original brochures https://www.motoguapa.com/BULTACO/ArchivosBultaco4.html

posted before seeing XXXX,s post that tank looks original so made Spain sticker was there

Edited by mrb505
Update

19 minutes ago, mrb505 said:

If you want it authentic a 158 shouldn’t have a sherpa sticker on the tank pretty sure they had the 1975 world champion sticker instead 

The sherpa sticker is from 198/199 models yours should have the round sherpa t on the side panels I’m not too sure if your model had the made in Spain sticker either 

If you bought the stickers in a kit you’ll probably find the the Bultaco tank sticker smaller in height and length than the original, in those kits they are 198/199 size

Heres a link that has original brochures https://www.motoguapa.com/BULTACO/ArchivosBultaco4.html

That link is gold, thankyou. I don't remember my 158 having that '75 world champ sticker however, the M183 I bought last year does have it, 182/183 being the next models after 158/159. I'm glad I'm not the only pedantic Trials enthusiast out there, I also noted the "Bultaco" emblems seemed too small on the websites I was viewing compared to what I think it should be, so I got someone in Oz to make them for me. Pics of my 183 below before any restoration.

20171205_170941.jpg

IMG_5926.JPG

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, fourex said:

I think you have bought a sticker kit from Peter S in Victoria, his sticker kit is not 100% correct for your 158/159 model, nor is it correct for 182/183 or 190/191. I'm confident the below pic is the 158/159 brochure from back in the day, as soon as I saw it on a google images search it immediately reminded me of the brochure I once had for my 158 back in the mid 1970's. Stripes on side panels started with mod's 198/199 for Australia. 

Thanks fourex, I didn't get it from Peter but it might be the same kit. That photo is the best I have seen for me bike, and it's certainly the same bike as mine which is comforting. 

4 minutes ago, mrb505 said:

Hmm, that's a worry that the tank sticker is smaller, I'll line it up and try to compare to the pictures. It doesn't have the world cup sticker but that doesn't appear on the brocher either by the look of it.

Thanks

That one should be the Made In Spain sticker. My M159 had a World Champion sticker and a European Champion sticker behind the fuel cap on that flat part of the tank and no one seems to sell them. I have the old ones just need to find someone to copy them for me. Can you see where the round Sherpa T stickers go on the airbox. Graham.

1 hour ago, cornishflyer said:

fourex, what is that sticker between the filer cap and the steering?

Great pics by the way, really useful

Just so I don't confuse things any more then they are already, the pics I've posted showing a weathered tank are of my 183 that I bought Nov 2017. Believing that all the attached stickers were original, I've tried to replicate them and this is the result. Not completely happy as the circular Bultaco emblems are not hard plastic convex items and the word "Bultaco" is a sticker and not a letter only transfer, if you know what I mean. 

002.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

009.jpg

Edited by fourex
extra pics of side panels.
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, mrb505 said:

Nice job XXXX looks great

I put the smaller Bultaco sticker on my 183 and it’s annoyed me ever since

Super helpful Rob at sales@motoresto.com.au in Perth can do the 255mm x 30mm contour cut (not sticker) "Bultaco" for you.

• Like 1

The problem is that I clear coated over the sticker I’ll redo the tank maybe one day but the bike isn’t very original anyway and as it’s a regular rider it wears a plastic tank most of the time

872100F2-BFF1-48DF-B03B-750D64BB5D63.jpeg

• Like 3