Condenser to capacitor?

faussy

Got a few bikes that run points ignition, and im fed up paying over the odds for variable quality condensers. Anyone using modern ceramic or polyester capacitors instead, do they work, and if so care to divulge what size you're using, or tried?

And yes, i do know solid state ignition systems exist.

Edited by faussy

I have one in my points ignition (12v) vintage car from the company below. Works fine. I am planning to try one in one of my bikes but so far not got around to fitting it.

http://www.brightsparkmagnetos.com/easycap/

I have no connection with this company and obviously other sources are available. Do not be put off all the Magneto stuff these work with points ignition systems

Stuart

Edited by twinnshock
  • Thanks 1

Condensers should last a reasonably long time, if you can get a Bosch or similar quality manufacturer, 12 or 6volt they aren’t fussy and mount it on the frame under the tank, good earth needed and away you go. Vibration and crush damage usually messes up a condenser which when correctly named is in fact a capacitor. The electrical term and the mechanics terms were always at variance with the techies.⚡️??‍??

Edited by section swept
Spelling

5 hours ago, twinnshock said:

I have one in my points ignition (12v) vintage car from the company below. Works fine. I am planning to try one in one of my bikes but so far not got around to fitting it.

http://www.brightsparkmagnetos.com/easycap/

I have no connection with this company and obviously other sources are available. Do not be put off all the Magneto stuff these work with points ignition systems

Stuart

Exactly what im looking for thanks!!!

4 hours ago, b40rt said:

A fair bit cheaper than what im currently paying. Thanks for the link

• Thanks 1

My understanding is that a condensor is a capaciter by a different name

The important thing is to get the same rating. (Measured in micro farads). You will need to use a Megga meter to test it.

Industrial sparkies usually have one of these, (at lest they do over here)

1 hour ago, still trying said:

My understanding is that a condensor is a capaciter by a different name

The important thing is to get the same rating. (Measured in micro farads). You will need to use a Megga meter to test it.

Industrial sparkies usually have one of these, (at lest they do over here)

I've heard this stated many times, what noticeable difference would it make having the correctly rated unit ?

I have used car condensors,  and original fitment units, and in use there is no perceptible change in performance or longevity of components.

• Like 3

They are ll the same as each has to spark a plug, and for example the famos plug Champion N12Y whiuch could be used for a Bultaco 350, SWM 320, Montesa 349,
but too for these British cars:

Austin Healey BJ7, BJ8
Jaguar XK120, XK140, XK150
Jaguar E-Type 1961 to 1971
XJ6 1969 to 1987
MG Midget 1500
Triumph Spitfire 1968 to 1980
Triumph TR7
Triumph GT6 

So we might ask where is the biff? I personal think just look up the right voltage and that the capacitator is for a ignition and not a for a hoover.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1