Hello from a Trials noob, looking to get started and learn

Broadburner

Hello all.

Last year I rode dirt for the first time after having ridden road bikes and really got the bug. Mostly just greenlaning but I had so much fun and learned so much. I really enjoyed the change of pace and different challenges coming from a sportbike. 

Later that year I sold my dirtbike and regretted it. 

So just the other day recently I purchased a 2004 GasGas TXT 250 pro as my first ever trials bike!

Just riding it around my garden a bit and then a little in the woods near me I reignited that spark that started smouldering on my dirtbike. I loved how it felt and being new to 2 strokes added a whole new challenge. 

Mostly I just want to get out there, get muddy, make some friends and have a good time, maybe in the future to enter some competitions at a rookie/amateur level. 

Any pointers, local riders who are looking for an extra set of wheels to ride along with them (I'm based just outside of Eastbourne, East Sussex), hints, advice etc are all welcomed.

I'm very new to this but really eager to learn and improve. 

vlcsnap-2018-06-21-00h31m52s903.png

Welcome to the sport broadburner! 

Dan is absolutely correct in what he's said above. The trials community is and always have been very patient and knowledgeable in teaching people interested in the sport, it requires a lot of commitment and technical ability but the feeling of accomplishment when your riding improves will have you hooked. 

Best of luck and remember, practice makes perfect. 

Edited by MooreMincer

I too, recently came to trials after road and enduro riding.

First thing to strike me was how friendly and helpful trials folk are... patient, welcoming and approachable. I'd suggest you join your local Club, which in association with the ACU, will run regular events and practice days, offering as much riding time as you can muster, for a meagre joining and entry fee (long gone are the days of me shelling-out £65 for an enduro practice day!). Also, don't discount the importance of practicing slow riding in a limited space set-up (driveway/garden area), which really does help in adjusting to the low speed bike handling skills so important for trials riding. Oh yeah, and never EVER, discount the abilities of the flat-cap wearing, pipe smoking pre-65/twinshock/classic brigade... seeing how certain members of that contingent can handle a trials bike really is believing.

Have fun and keep the faith.

Edited by riffraffretro

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I have found a local group, the EDMCC (Eastbourne and District Motorcycle Club) and sent them a message. Now all I have to do I figure out a safe way to attach my bike to my car, I only have am old Fiesta as I mostly use my road bike as my primary means of transport. 

Any ideas? Ratchet straps and ingenuity?  

Hi Broadburner, I used to have a Fiesta and had a Dave Cooper rack fitted to the tow bar for a few years nice and safe and secure there are other racks.

I'm trials secretary for Normandy MCC we have trials around the Guildford area, our club trials are self marking and ideal if you are just starting out, further than EDMCC but check out our website www.normandymcc.co.uk

Mick

3 hours ago, mick said:

Hi Broadburner, I used to have a Fiesta and had a Dave Cooper rack fitted to the tow bar for a few years nice and safe and secure there are other racks.

I'm trials secretary for Normandy MCC we have trials around the Guildford area, our club trials are self marking and ideal if you are just starting out, further than EDMCC but check out our website www.normandymcc.co.uk

Mick

I'll have to look into that for my car, thanks.

Well once I have a rack to move the bike around easier I'll definitely come up your way. Guildford isn't too far for me. 

If you're on a budget take a look at the Wulf gear. Very reasonably priced. I after something a bit more fancy have a look on e-bay, I bought a brand new Airoh TRR carbon fibre helmet for almost half the retail price as it was last years colours!

As above in relation to trials bike transport. The weight of a trials bike shouldn't cause any issues when mated to a Dave Cooper/similar bike rack (tow bar mounted), and small family hatch.

To truly have your cake and eat it - if combining a few local lanes with organised Club events is your thing - get the bike road registered and legal, fit a bar mounted aux fuel tank, find space for a 1 or 2ltr back-up in your rucksack and the world's your lobster - just get used to standing-up lots, or buy a hybrid seat (easily removed as and when needed)!

Edited by riffraffretro

2 hours ago, riffraffretro said:

To truly have your cake and eat it - get the bike road registered and legal

I do like lobster... Though I have no idea how to go about road registering an off road bike. I've seen trials for sale with numberplates and lights. But when I looked on the DVLA I couldn't make head nor tail of it. And couldn't find much about how much it costs or what you need to be legal, I assume the usual - head/tail light, reg plate, mot, tax, insurance, speedo. 

Because in truth is I'd really like to put it on the road. There are a few greenlanes only a spit from me and it would be easier to just hop on and ride there. The rack can be used for stuff further afield 

Edited by Broadburner