Finally got First Trials Bike - 1995 Gas Gas Contact 25. Few questions

GoneBraapin

Hello! So I've wanted a trials bike for years and just now finally got one. I found a 1995 Gas Gas Contact 25 in near showroom condition. I couldn't believe it. Hardly a mark on it. The tires still have 90% tread left, but front is dry cracked with age so I'll be replacing that. I can't find a manual anywhere. I replaced the crank case oil, and drained the coolant by loosening the two colts on the right case where the hoses enter the motor, then refilled the radiator. I shouldn't have trapped air should I? I tilted bike side to side and then added more coolant. Bike starts first kick and I added 50:1 fresh gas. Can't find a spec on spark plug, but it runs great. Any suggestions on anything else I need to do?

The manual in the USA was on a VHS tape. I don't know if there was a printed manual in the UK you might be able to find or if anyone has converted the VHS to digital that you might be able to access.

You might be able to work out some air by squeezing the rear hose rapidly with your fingers. BPR5ES plug should work fine.

Oh ok. A digital copy would be excellent if available! As for the coolant, do you think I run risk of getting the bike too hot if there is any air left in the system? I still need to see if the fan works. I sure hope it does! Ha. Thank you for the info motovita!! Oh, also I just remembered that the grey wire leading to the rear hub sensor is disconnected and just sitting between motor and skid plate. Am I going to want to find a way to hook that back up? Not sure what its purpose is...? 

Yes d2w I think you are correct.  oni nou, I had the same thoughts actually, but I can't afford a new one to ride. If a collector wants to trade me a new Beta or Gas Gas, that would be ideal all around...lol. This thing is beautiful, but I really want to ride. I've wanted a trials bike for a long time. My other bike is a 2009 YZ450 and I'd love to switch it up and ride trials a bit. The guy I got it from acquired it as part of a trade for a rare limited edition Harley Davidson. 

Edited by GoneBraapin

It is in awesome shape, but the early `95 model actually had water cooled center cases. Which had a corrosion problem. You might be able to check by VIN number. Trials parts USA would be your best friend. I would find this out soon as it would be a shame for this bike to be a lemon. They had a kit that blocked the passages to the lower cases. Plus side is you have the later model fork seal holder. The earlier model had green dust seals, This to was an issue that year. They were a great bike for the year.  

• Like 1

Jim recommended I change the fluid in the brakes and hydraulic clutch as well, which is a good call. I guess he has a video on his website on how to do so, which is awesome. I’ve done mountain bike brakes, but never a hydraulic clutch or Moto brakes. I just really hope the suspension seals keep holding together! Ha. I’d love a new, lighter weight 2018 bike, but for $5000 less, this one should be plenty fun as a beginner. 

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, what a gorgeous bike.  It reminds me of when I had a '94 and my riding buddy had a '95.  Probably the best trail (trail, not trial) riding bike I ever owned.  Also a good trials bike.  Jordi Tarrres won some world championships on them. 

50:1 is too much oil but OK for break-in use. After 1 or 2 tanks, switch to 80:1.  Keep your eye on the transmission fluid. Those motors had common water pump seal failures that leaked coolant into the trans.  If the fluid gets milky, there is coolant leaking. The wire you mentioned is the signal wire for the small electronic readout located just behind the fuel fill cap.  I have never seen one that actually worked. 

I have a parts manual and electrical diagram I will try to attach.  Parts manual is about 8 megs.

I have to agree with Oni Nou.  That bike is too nice to actually ride.  Know that being new to trials, you WILL drop the bike, scratching the paint, denting parts, etc.  The bike will never look that new again if you ride it.   I strongly recommend you see about trading,or selling, it to someone who wants a museum piece.  Then go get a newer bike that already has been ridden.  Don't misunderstand, I DO want you to ride trials.  It is a blast!  I just would hate to see such a perfect piece get damaged.

Take it to the local GasGas dealer, the local club events, post it on CL.  You might be surprised at what you get offered.  

1995_Trial_JT25_Parts_Manual.pdf

ducati-electrics.gif

Thank you thats_a_five!  Jim Snell asked me to look for a couple different marks on the crank case and said this one is really late production 95 and I shouldn’t need to worry about the coolant issue, so that’s a big relief! 

I totally hear what you’re saying about not riding this, but I’m conflicted because I can’t afford to buy a newer bike right now, and I want to ride at least a little. Maybe I’ll just take it easy and not try anything too risky (where I might drop the bike) yet. To get anything newer I’d need to sell my YZ450F, but then I couldn’t ride with friends. (None of my friends have trials bikes...)

I did just put a new Dunlop on the front because the stock tire was pretty dry cracked. Haven’t ridden it yet tho, aside from a few laps around the yard. 

Thanks for the diagrams!