engine oil

snorky29

Just now, section swept said:

That’s heavy vehicle..truck... rated oil...lorries, dumper trucks etc. Probably axle types too! 

so really good stuff then , think of the hard work those components go through 

6 minutes ago, snorky29 said:

Automatic transmission fluid?

Yep most use it as it’s beneficial to the clutch, it’s life and it’s operation. Automatic transmissions can go through hell in some circumstances...car drivers being what they are. High temperatures are generated inside the box and depending upon number of selectable gears....epicyclic and clutches together with brake bands the fluid is more than up to operating well in a trials bikes primary drive. ATF usually is red or crimson. TQF might be almost clear but does the same job although it was a Borg Warner Ford spec fluid, it too can be used in the primary drive..Castrol actually recommends it.??

Your 80w/75 stock is as you say good stuff but it’s for those types of transmissions found in kin great trucks ? ?? etc I would not bother with it in my bike?, maybe use it in an oil can for chain and cable lubing and such like. How old is that stuff any way it does go off you know, each exposure to the atmosphere depletes a little more of some of the additive chemicals hence the pungent aroma that tends to hang around especially on overalls etc.?

30 minutes ago, section swept said:

Yep most use it as it’s beneficial to the clutch, it’s life and it’s operation. Automatic transmissions can go through hell in some circumstances...car drivers being what they are. High temperatures are generated inside the box and depending upon number of selectable gears....epicyclic and clutches together with brake bands the fluid is more than up to operating well in a trials bikes primary drive. ATF usually is red or crimson. TQF might be almost clear but does the same job although it was a Borg Warner Ford spec fluid, it too can be used in the primary drive..Castrol actually recommends it.??

Your 80w/75 stock is as you say good stuff but it’s for those types of transmissions found in kin great trucks ? ?? etc I would not bother with it in my bike?, maybe use it in an oil can for chain and cable lubing and such like. How old is that stuff any way it does go off you know, each exposure to the atmosphere depletes a little more of some of the additive chemicals hence the pungent aroma that tends to hang around especially on overalls etc.?

And there with in lies the contradiction...."use what the manufacture recommends" ...but ATF is ok :D

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, oni nou said:

There are certain people that have no idea what they are talking about who ask questions of people who do know and have years of experience of those things then completely ignore them......don't give up, just do not bother answering their dumb ass questions[ ZF DAF EATON  IVECO RENAULT VOLVO all well known trials wet clutch gearbox applications]....also if some one does not trust what people on the forum know why do they not go to the oil company web sites and study oil chemistry and standards  for themselves instead of going for the easy option of just asking someone. else .....jokers......... Mark Twain moment  again.

Nice one .....but c'mon lets look at it as a whole .....sceptic's:.... oh no don't use that "omg that.s not in the hand book ....your a cheapskate...and a dumb ass (but with not one GOOD proven reason not to try it ).....now the words above are not meant to be condescending...but words that have been used previously 

Now the optimist ... as advised by a member above    "try it and see and report back" which i did .....and i did say i would report back..with no adverse affects ....this dose not make me chemical engineer or scientist ....but i ave proven one thing ...and that is that so far this oil has been ok for how i ride my bike

i do appreciate all the time members take to reply....and i have had some real good advice and help on this forum .....but i also have an opinion but most of all i am testing this oil and seeing the results .....and i think you have to respect that :D  

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/albert_einstein_148851?src=t_limits

Edited by snorky29

11 minutes ago, snorky29 said:

Nice one .....but c'mon lets look at it as a whole .....sceptic's:.... oh no don't use that "omg that.s not in the hand book ....your a cheapskate...and a dumb ass (but with not one GOOD proven reason not to try it ).....now the words above are not meant to be condescending...but words that have been used previously 

Now the optimist ... as advised by a member above    "try it and see and report back" which i did .....and i did say i would report back..with no adverse affects ....this dose not make me chemical engineer or scientist ....but i ave proven one thing ...and that is that so far this oil has been ok for how i ride my bike

i do appreciate all the time members take to reply....and i have had some real good advice and help on this forum .....but i also have an opinion but most of all i am testing this oil and seeing the results .....and i think you have to respect that :D  

Dude you can do as you wish its no one elses business what you use in your gearbox but fibre clutch plates for your bikes are not that cheap[IMO] if there just happens to be an additive in that truck gearbox oil that you are using that makes them frictionless.........but like I said its your show.

Edited by oni nou

1 minute ago, oni nou said:

Dude you can do as you wish its no one elses business what you use in your gearbox but fibre clutch plates for your bikes are not that cheap[IMO] if there just happens to be an additive in that truck gearbox oil that you are using that makes them frictionless.........but like I said its your show.

How simple was that....i asked for a GOOD reason not to use this oil and it has taken 4 pages to get it ....now i wont be pedantic and ask what the aditive is ...but if you wish to explain more i will read with interest ....but i will drain and flush the gear box  and put putoline light back in 

1 minute ago, snorky29 said:

How simple was that....i asked for a GOOD reason not to use this oil and it has taken 4 pages to get it ....now i wont be pedantic and ask what the aditive is ...but if you wish to explain more i will read with interest ....but i will drain and flush the gear box  and put putoline light back in 

I have no idea if that specific oil has anything in it that may affect your plates so we are both not sure ...what I am sure of is If I was thinking of putting an oil in my trials gearbox that is designed for a truck gearbox and did not know;then  I would be calling or emailing Fuchs to ask their technical department what they thought about the situation not the varying opinions of people on a forum

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, oni nou said:

I have no idea if that specific oil has anything in it that may affect your plates so we are both not sure ...what I am sure of is If I was thinking of putting an oil in my trials gearbox that is designed for a truck gearbox and did not know;then  I would be calling or emailing Fuchs to ask their technical department what they thought about the situation not the varying opinions of people on a forum

that's not a bad idea (just for curiosity

11 minutes ago, Nebulous said:

You’ll also need engine oil , as well as transmission oil.  Why not phone them and ask if they could give two Fuchs , that are suitable?

Whity .:lol:....wonder why i nerver thought of that

Edited by snorky29

You know I sold a friends 04 Gas Gas pro 300 about two years ago. I had ridden that bike in events a couple of times over the years. He had used GM Ato trac 2 in it from new (Yeah transfer case oil mainly available in the USA.) That bike never suffered any issues. I got that back shortly after it was sold as the guy was too old to start it. He was so proud of the ultimate trans fluid he bought from Amsoil. I rode it un an event and it about killed me. Sure the clutch was nice and progressive and it shifted smooth as silk, but damn it just would not hook up quick enough to suit my riding undercut ledges. ATF is my best friend.

4 minutes ago, lineaway said:

You know I sold a friends 04 Gas Gas pro 300 about two years ago. I had ridden that bike in events a couple of times over the years. He had used GM Ato trac 2 in it from new (Yeah transfer case oil mainly available in the USA.) That bike never suffered any issues. I got that back shortly after it was sold as the guy was too old to start it. He was so proud of the ultimate trans fluid he bought from Amsoil. I rode it un an event and it about killed me. Sure the clutch was nice and progressive and it shifted smooth as silk, but damn it just would not hook up quick enough to suit my riding undercut ledges. ATF is my best friend.

Hi and thanks for the very useful information and will take it on board

My riding will not encounter "undercuts that need instant power response  ..im to old in years for that type of danger ..putoline light is avalable in my local shop so i will Go with that 

Thanks again Lineaway 

Neil