Chain and sprocket combinations

T5avs1

Hola, i thought i would chip in with my two penneth as i was asking exactly the same questions here recently....

I live in brooklyn NYC (hardly a trials mecca!) and last year an original gorgeous ty250a found me that had been stored indoors for 30yrs.  i took it on as a project instead of having a mid life crisis ;)

It originally had 12/53 gearing and i found this a bit too slow to keep up with 40-50mph traffic in the city.  Perfect for trials though with tons of low torque and great for practicing wheelies and super slow speed stuff in a few secret spots i know (construction sites).

having been struggling with highway speeds, at feetupfun's suggestion i switched to 16/53 and the bike is much happier pottering around at 45mph and the engine isnt working too hard.  However, it's a double edged sword as i lost all the ability to practice my trials!  its way too fast gearing to even think about having the bike move at walking speed without slipping the clutch.  and its much harder (for me) to get the front wheel up...fyi, the original gearing on the bike was 14/53  and the subsequent models (b/c/d/e) all had 13/53. but feetup's recommendation (and he is a giant of knowledge and experience)  of 12/53 is where you need to be for trials.

as an aside...i dont think a ty250a is really all that stable above 50mph? i went on the highway last week and at 55mph got pretty nervous as the bike seemed to be doing wierd gyroscopic things as the road surface changed...not fun and pretty dangerous.

maybe there's something wrong with my bike as i have read on this forum a ty250a can go 80mph but i find that hard to believe from my experience mucking around with gearing but who knows!?...

also, i read that someone rode coast to coast US on a ty250a... so i guess anythings possible!

anyway, hope that helps...best vibes from a sweltering NYC! johnny

Edited by johnnyjazz

Hey johnny thanks for your reply that has helped a lot. How long have you had your bike now? I'm still building mine at the moment but not far to go now. 

What gearbox oil do you use and how much of it? Mine hasn't got a dipstick to check either so will just have to change it frequently perhaps. 

Ps it's also quite hot in England today about 30 degrees ? 

im no expert by any means...but ive had the bike about a year. here is what i have from the manual with regards your oil question, but im sure there are a myriad of options that are available since 1974.....oil has come a long way!  cant remember exactly what i used...probably something cheap and cheerful i 'borrowed' from work... ;)

info.jpg

You are a very good help Thank you very much. 

Im now struggling with the seat and brackets, I've brought a new seat from Yambits and the seat brackets but it doesn't seem to fit anywhere near and holes to fit the brackets. Did you have this problem? 

Cheers tom 

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so before anyone bites my head off please take in account that im very new to this and im only asking for knowledge purposes. Why is it on a pedal bicycle the big sprocket is upfront where the pedals are and the smaller sprocket is in the rear but on a motorized dirt bike or street bike whatever the small sprocket is upfront with the motor and the larger sprocket is in the rear? Like I said I'm new to this and I'm just wondering the difference in the two