Sy cylinder head removel

bondy

Can any body tell me how to take the cylinder head off the sy? I've striped bike down rad off ECT the head steady is stoping the head coming off I was hoping to get away from taking the motor out is there a nack am I missing something? I want to replace the small end bearing am not new to striping and rebuilding bikes just never done a scorpa before I have the New parts to hand to do the work so frustrating. Cheers 

Edited by bondy

Those old Scorpa's are difficult to work on. I replaced a piston on one about 12 years ago with the motor still in the frame, the head did come off ok, I can't remember it being a problem, may have to rotate it to another position to remove. Perhaps the shock had to be removed. Getting the cylinder off was a problem in as much that you needed to raise the cylinder, and rotate the crank to allow access to the gudgeon pin. Stuff some clean rag into the crank case, remove a piston circlip and tap out the pin completely. Leave the piston in the cylinder and lower the con-rod to BDC, then wriggle out the cylinder with the piston inside, or if you just want to replace the little end, then leave the cylinder with piston hanging above the motor, get a friend to hold those parts. Good luck, PeterB.

Reading posts here on TC, I was under the impression that one of the mods done to these bikes was replacing the cylinder studs that secure the head with bolts.  This was done so the cylinder head could be removed with the engine in the chassis.  

Hello guys thanks for your help I have managed to remove the studs with 2 nuts screwed on the stud then undo the bottom nut witch undose the stud head came off easy I want to take the piston off anyway to de coke the top the barrel looks very clean thanks guys once again.

6 hours ago, bondy said:

Hi I have 2 scorpa sy can you tell me what the standard piston was on the sy 250 and what they whent up to? 

Try the Fowlers website for the TYZ, that's your best bet.  I assume you are referring to the letter code.  Most times, if it is the first piston swap use a B, but they may go as high as D.

• Like 1