Transporting a trial bike in a trailer

Growzer

Found a great product that helps secure a trials bike while bouncing around in a trailer to get to the ‘trials ground’.

As we know the trials mudguard is very close to the tyre where my KTM EXCF 500 has a reversed shock mount I can use a spacer.
Tried a few different ways, tie downs from the handlebars- front shockies triple clamp etc but the Tyrefix Ace Bikes system works a treat as it slides under the front mudguard, simple and easy. Latch seat belt system that connects to the buckle is smart. Fit one on the rear wheel as well and it doesn’t move.

https://www.acebikes.com/en/transport-service/tyrefix-tie-down-system

972E7536-87FB-417B-A3A3-BBD245EC0A5C.jpeg

A169993B-C0CB-410B-BA33-BFB65EB69C6A.jpeg

3CB9E5A9-EEF9-4CEF-B1D6-2C0131FCC8D8.jpeg

D4165B0F-6D4D-4B87-84C7-1DDF0C9D1361.jpeg

• Like 2

Ninjabones, I looked at the steady stand with the foot pedal clamp as they looked pretty good but wasn’t sure which way to go, you have convinced me they are impressive. 

That is a very nicely set up transportation rig you have there, you obviously are fastidious and have good attention to detail, everything has a place by the look of it, well done.

@ Growzer,

Nice bit of kit, my only concern would be when the bike is all muddied up I wouldn't fancy messing around feeding it under the front mud guard, especially if its cold and wet also. But then I am a bit of a wuss :D

Intotrials, very good point which I considered but thought I would work through that issue when it arose, no extreme mud yet but the units look like they should wash down ok, point taken though, hmm.

I do have a twin cylinder ARB air compressor in my 4 wd tow vehicle which would dispose of the gunky stuff extremly quickly before I put the bike in the trailer. Ninjabones Ace clamp would be fine with a muddy tyre by the looks of it.

3 hours ago, Growzer said:

Ninjabones, I looked at the steady stand with the foot pedal clamp as they looked pretty good but wasn’t sure which way to go, you have convinced me they are impressive. 

That is a very nicely set up transportation rig you have there, you obviously are fastidious and have good attention to detail, everything has a place by the look of it, well done.

Thank you.   The trailer serves dual purpose as a car trailer as well.   Very easy to loosen the four socket head bolts on each bike stand to make room for a car.   

Peterh, thanks for the Aussie invention information, very similar to the Ace but uses wire cables and more suited to be used with the trials knobbies. 

Nebulous you mentioned loosening spokes, as a side comment I rechecked my brand new bike spokes with a spoke tension wrench after 2 hours riding, my skill is learner trials and so no jumping off large logs and rocks etc, but the results were all over the place, glad I did this check and retension ( similar results to my KTM EXCF 500 though).  By keeping the spokes tight it could help prevent damage and distortion to the rim when clamping/transporting as a suggestion for others.

All good feedback and ideas, appreciated.

• Like 1

Tangentally related, but last night I used a proper handlebar tie-down strap (£13 off a certain famous auction website) on my other half's CBR600RR ... it was sooo easy, and I'll definitely be using it on my trials bikes in the future too!

Wish I'd bought one a long time ago, now :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/07/2018 at 6:17 PM, oni nou said:

Good point;  if the bike is not tied at the handle bars aswell. Please excuse the next manly bit turbofurball. but theres a little too much prancing going on.

This is how a real man transports a bike, someone who doesn't wear a pair of marigolds all the time.  https://youtu.be/nRMiTbvJ6Js?t=9s 

https://youtu.be/o-50GjySwew?t=18s

Hey where can I sign up for this Prancercise...that could be me late for the train or bog (no 2) or collecting my new Dizzy Trials (Vertigo) get it? I’ll get me coat shall I?