Techno '96 Wiring

Bernie the Bolt

Evening all

I have started to delve into the recently acquired 96 Techno's wiring in order to fit the correct fan and thermostat, and to also fit a kill switch as my lad needs the added safety should he become unattached( and me as its been a while). So I have trawled looking for a decent wiring diagram, only finding a fuzzy version that you cannot read the colour codes.

I have now courtesy of BVM Moto got a clearer version, but I am still at a bit of a loss. I will attach the diagram, along with my own version of what I have on the bike. Although I have removed the fan that was fitted with a live feed, and earthed as a negative.

My question to you much wiser people than I, would be firstly, does that link for the fan look right?

I want to remove the current run switch and fit a kill magnetic button in its place. The problem I have is the switch is open circuit when the button is attached and closed when removed. This suggests to me the function of this kill switch is to short to earth what ever feed it is linked to. As I have seen the price of a replacement CDI (what ever that stands for) I am reluctant to bowl in there and make it up as I go. Any thoughts and observations would be appreciated.

many thanks

Bernie

Techno_wiring_diagram.xlsx

Bernies Techno wiring Diagram.pdf

Techno wiring diagram.JPG

• 11 months later...

I stumbled across this because of another thread.  I'm guessing it's been too long for the OP to still care, but perhaps my response will help someone else.

CDI = Capacitor Discharge Ignition.

The factory wiring diagram is truly horrible, and you were smart to attempt to draw your own.  In regard to your .PDF drawing:

1. That "run switch" configuration would be very unconventional (and I suspect it is incorrect -- especially because it would be required to "open" to kill).  Typically, one side of the ignition coil would be permanently connected to earth.

2. Kill switches typically "close" to produce the kill function, and "open" for the run function.

3. The wire you have marked "Lights?" is unlikely to power the lights.  There's no need to involve the CDI in that task.  It's possible this is were a conventional kill switch would be connected (but more investigation would be prudent).

4. Lights typically are powered via the low-voltage winding on the stator that powers the fan.

Hi Konrad

Yes you are quite right, I worked this out eventually, cost me a great deal of heart ache, but I got there.

The white wire is the kill wire, as you say it shorts or earths the CDI and is your kill.

Once I worked this out, with some help from a great rewind guy in Cornwall, I rewired the whole lot and it works a treat. Kill switch and all.

Thanks for responding. Bernie