Beta 2019 models? When release?

luct4

There's little point in a huge redesign for any of the manufacturers now. We're riding the very long tail of trials bike engineering, where the 'changes' are all essentially fixes to any existing problems that crop up, or supply chain issues, etc. New manufacturers like Vertigo and TRS started with a blank sheet and the ability to pick and choose what they liked (or didn't) from the current crop of well refined bikes. They could also have thrown all that out and started over if they felt there was room for major change. The best they could do (which isn't a knock on them) in terms of innovation was really just the fuel injection on the Vertigo, and as we know they weren't the first to do that.

Short of someone finding a way to shave another 20 pounds off a bike, I'm rather fine with small steps in refinement, as all the current bikes are more than capable. The cost associated with any major weight savings at this point is going to be prohibitive, so again, what are they gaining with huge redesigns other than a huge engineering bill... I can't think of anything. 

P.S. Beta could just make a lot of people really happy by putting some Tech forks and a Reiger on the bike. Hell, they could split those changes over 2 model years! Or even three, they could do one year with one Tech fork leg and one Paoli.

Edited by heffergm

2 hours ago, heffergm said:

P.S. Beta could just make a lot of people really happy by putting some Tech forks and a Reiger on the bike. Hell, they could split those changes over 2 model years! Or even three, they could do one year with one Tech fork leg and one Paoli.

You mean one Sachs and one Tech? ?

11 hours ago, heffergm said:

There's little point in a huge redesign for any of the manufacturers now. We're riding the very long tail of trials bike engineering, where the 'changes' are all essentially fixes to any existing problems that crop up, or supply chain issues, etc. New manufacturers like Vertigo and TRS started with a blank sheet and the ability to pick and choose what they liked (or didn't) from the current crop of well refined bikes. They could also have thrown all that out and started over if they felt there was room for major change. The best they could do (which isn't a knock on them) in terms of innovation was really just the fuel injection on the Vertigo, and as we know they weren't the first to do that.

Short of someone finding a way to shave another 20 pounds off a bike, I'm rather fine with small steps in refinement, as all the current bikes are more than capable. The cost associated with any major weight savings at this point is going to be prohibitive, so again, what are they gaining with huge redesigns other than a huge engineering bill... I can't think of anything. 

Shave a few more pounds off, light rider fresh off a diet of cardboard and distilled water....enter the riding apparel?????????. Nice protective heavyish boots, crash helmet fairly light but open to more development ( and don’t forget those stickers?) riding gloves ( no one yet wears nitrile surgical inspection gloves) ?‍?gloves could be lighter remove every other stitch for example, back, chest and knee protection light but again areas for improvement....any tools and spares carried scrutinised and made as light as possible..get someone else to run behind carrying them instead...more spares?? And as our race car ?⛷driver used to do, ensure you have taken as many number two visits to the loo? before competing! That’s at least four pounds off?I’ll get me coat shall I?

9 hours ago, dan williams said:

You mean one Sachs and one Tech? ?

Or....or no front forks and no rear suspension, just a voucher to be redeemed against the suspenders of your choice. Let’s put some money back into the UK’s suspension manufacturers. Or you get unnamed forks and rear suspension unit but a pack of different names STICKERS to adorn forks and damper. A certain company in UK manufactured front forks, looking a bit like Ceriani (well they all look pretty dam the same) but there were two letters stamped into the top yoke. When I asked I was shown another top yoke which had the full wording..Rogue Elephants...not a clue if this was a pointer to the handling these forks gave??this you have to appreciate was in a time when sticker/label lust and development was very early in its infancy.

Edited by section swept
Addition
  • Like 1

I think it would be really nice if they just fixed the problems it's had for years! After all these years you'd think they could-

Space the kickstart out so it didn't hit the frame?

Fit a chain tensioner that doesn't wear a massive groove in the swing arm?

Redesign the swingarm linkage so you dont have to strip it every month?

Stop as much water getting in the airbox? I know I'm in the UK, but fairly sure it rains in Italy to.

On 7/4/2018 at 5:24 PM, heffergm said:

Heck, Beta could make a lot of people really happy if they'd just put a rear fender on that didn't snap off so easy and then cost $160 to replace it!  And maybe an intake hose (carb to engine) 1/2" longer that didn't come loose so easy.  Other than that, perfectly happy with my 16 EVO 4t.

Me happy,

just bougt an extra evo 250 2-stroke; I rode one from a friend and like the ring-ding-ding from 2T bike.
I'm a novice and have to learn a lot. 2T seems a lot easier to me. Will see iff i'm right.
Like somone said...next bike mayby electric but furst learn to ride.

• 1 month later...
On 04/07/2018 at 2:18 PM, lineaway said:

Beta could just do a suspension upgrade and it would do wonders for the bike. I love my Beta, but my son just got a TRRS 300. Everything about his bike is better. Better power, suspension, brakes, clutch, and it balances way better. Looks to be a brand change in our family. Just as I was getting used to my new dealer.

I agree I’ve had Beta for years, and are a lovely bike, but the past ones are the same as what I have now, by the odd difference, I’m thinking of changing brand to the only issue I have is what cc to get, I’ve been told the 250 trrs is best to get but I’ve had 300s for years 

We rode the Ute Cup last weekend. Two day event 50 miles of high mountain single track with 80 sections. His TRRS performed perfectly, but it is a thirsty beast. Saturday was an 18 mile loop and he barely made it even with the quart bottle of extra fuel. My Beta 250 made it with no extra fuel. I will probably get a 2019 (TRRS), but need to ride a 250 a few times to decide which would do me better as I am getting slower.

The TRS bikes have exploded up here in New England. They’re everywhere and the riders that have them are quite happy. The Keihin bikes seem to be more reliable starters but I’ve seen few problems other than a pinched wire and the snapped handlebar bolt.

The 2019 bike will be unveiled at the world round this weekend , I’m guessing if there was any major upgrades or changes they would have made a big fuss over it and unveiled it at the Italian round in a few weeks time instead ,I’m not expecting any more than “bold new graphics”?