‘18 popping out of gear

dan williams

1 hour ago, al_orange said:

Sounds promising. Do you know exactly what parts they replaced? 

Unfortunately not I was hoping to get some pics to put up here but they’d already been took to beta before I got there as they was collecting a set of bikes. They just said new selector 

Hi Dan,

I appreciate all the work and posts you've put up regarding the 2018 Beta. I'm considering a new 2018 EVO 2t 300 and was a little concerned with this trans issue which may steer me to another make/model I have my eye on ('18 GG TXT300 ).

Sounds like the Beta's are a great bike.

To sum things up did the 2019 parts cure the popping out of gear or did you custom machined any parts which solved the issue?

I'm also wondering if anyone knows what brand of forks these bikes are running and if they have any other issues a person should be aware of?

Thanks

On 12/30/2018 at 1:52 PM, danbillam said:

Unfortunately not I was hoping to get some pics to put up here but they’d already been took to beta before I got there as they was collecting a set of bikes. They just said new selector 

danbillam,

It really would be interesting to know what parts (and part numbers) were replaced and the part numbers of the replacement parts.  I don't recall the year of the Beta you had that was jumping out of gear.  What year was the bike?

I understand that this may be a rare occurrence, but one would think Beta would make maximum effort to inform owners who had the problem of exactly what the problem was and exactly how the problem was fixed.

After owning over 45 bikes over roughly the same number of years, KTM has been the worst manufacturer I have had experience with in regards to sharing technical information with owners and dealers.  Since my 2019 EVO 250 is my first Beta, hopefully, I will not experience the same with Beta.

Do any forum posters out there have reliable sources of technical information inside Beta?

thanks.

On 12/28/2018 at 12:12 PM, dan williams said:

The jig is in and fits like it was made for this. Which it was. Let the fettling begin!

F90A632D-949C-4F91-8B61-D319CB7A7E59.jpeg

75893BAD-0C32-491B-8D69-11A0D05B5058.jpeg

Dan,

Thanks for making this a fascinating post.  As a mechanical engineer with a couple decades of experience in the machine/tool design and fab business, I appreciate your logical thought process.

A couple questions:

- was the bike only jumping out of 1st and 2nd gear?  If so, that makes the idea of location neutral between 4th and 5th simply brilliant.  I remember the 60's when the first question you would ask before riding someone else's bike was "What is the shift pattern?"

- have you tried to cross reference shifter part numbers between the 2018 model year and the 2019 model year Beta to see which parts were changed?  Assuming of course that the marketing hype is real.

- I agree with your idea that going to a smaller diameter cam follower bearing will make it tougher for the bikes to jump out of gear.

If your current efforts are not productive, you could always try the last ditch desperation effort of rotating the shift lever upwards on the shift shaft.  ?  Not as much fun as the more involved tinkering, but sometimes the KISS principle works.  Especially after all else fails.  Murphy has a wicked sense of humor!

Keep up the good work.  thanks! 

Edited by Sir Real Ed

22 minutes ago, Sir Real Ed said:

danbillam,

It really would be interesting to know what parts (and part numbers) were replaced and the part numbers of the replacement parts.  I don't recall the year of the Beta you had that was jumping out of gear.  What year was the bike?

I understand that this may be a rare occurrence, but one would think Beta would make maximum effort to inform owners who had the problem of exactly what the problem was and exactly how the problem was fixed.

After owning over 45 bikes over roughly the same number of years, KTM has been the worst manufacturer I have had experience with in regards to sharing technical information with owners and dealers.  Since my 2019 EVO 250 is my first Beta, hopefully, I will not experience the same with Beta.

Do any forum posters out there have reliable sources of technical information inside Beta?

thanks.

I have ridden Beta since 1990. Never any bad issues. Also I have always ran ATF. Never a clutch problem either. In 2013 there was a tech bulletin from Beta addressing shifting issues, which I can no longer find. On page 82 of this thread is another post back in April `13 with the same issue.

1 hour ago, lineaway said:

I have ridden Beta since 1990. Never any bad issues. Also I have always ran ATF. Never a clutch problem either. In 2013 there was a tech bulletin from Beta addressing shifting issues, which I can no longer find. On page 82 of this thread is another post back in April `13 with the same issue.

Ah a straight up solopsist viewpoint. I’ve ridden Betas since ‘89. I’ve never had a stator fail but I’ve seen friend’s bikes miraculously cured by a stator rewind. I’ve never had a cracked frame but Beta replaced all frames in ‘09 for free so there may have been a problem. Beta has changed the clutch assembly several times over the last few years so there may be something to that. This year there’s a new shift cam. Seems like a lot of expense for no issue doesn’t it?

I’m glad your bikes have been trouble free. Mine have been mostly trouble free. When they haven’t I fix them and share the results. I’m curious why you seem to have an issue with that?

• Like 1

Well I was replying to a new rider that was worried about his new bike. Their was a bulletin on the `13, but you state that you never fixed yours. I regress as I did not point out that I did have to replace a frame and swing arm. Of all years it was a 2002 rev 3.  I was a Beta dealer for 12 years and I have never installed or sold a stator. But I believe most of the stators that have failed was due to moisture. I certainly don`t have an issue with you trying to fix your bike. Just trying not to panic rider`s from a problem that has not been found. I do believe in sharing information that helps riders. For the most part the Beta transmission is mostly the same design as when the TR32 came out. I do find it interesting that by using ATF all these years that I have not seemed to have any of the clutch/transmission issues.

• Like 1

Great thread guys with lots of knowledgable opinions.  Old farts from my generation love blunt communication, there is no room for misinterpretation.  Feelings be damned!  Let's solve some problems.

As my friends get sick of hearing, my opinion is that offense is always in the receiver, not the transmitter.

"I don't give a damn about your feelings!  I'm trying to help you dammit!"

Don't worry about me lineaway, I melted out of my snowflake stage about 40 years ago.  ?  I'm not worried, just interested.  Easiest check would be to compare 2018 part numbers to 2019 part numbers.  But to date, I have been a bit too busy/lazy to do so.  I will sooner or later, out of curiosity.  When I do, I will post what I find. 

So far my 2019 Beta seems world's better (in terms of quality of manufactured parts) than the Sherco's I have owned, and I know a few people who have owned Beta's for 20 plus years with no problems.  Possible exception for the gas caps on both, where Sherco and Beta both have issues.  Lots of European motorcycle manufacturer's have issues with plastic tanks, caps, etc.  US fuel is very suspect here.

My Aprilia RXV 550 also had great quality of manufactured parts, unfortunately, the assemblers drank way too much wine at lunchtime.  Hopefully, Beta employees don't have the same habits.  I can't complain too much about Italians, though, cause I married one.  ?

Edited by Sir Real Ed
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Sir Real Ed said:

As my friends get sick of hearing, my opinion is that offense is always in the receiver, not the transmitter  ?  .  

Then you'll not be offended when I say you sound like a compete wancer.