bultaco model ?

rusty nuts

That is a 91/92 series 2 frame I believe, that small gusset is standard on them and 124/125 frames or the ones I’ve seen anyway.

The difference between 91/92 series 2 headstock and 124/125 is the waist between the bearing positions on the 124/125

the photo is a m125 headstock

8F6F1583-3419-47E9-B6EE-A415A092277E.jpeg

• Like 4

Yep the extra triangular gusset is factory correct. The first M92 had a single plate gusset on the headstock as the M80's had, and the second series M92[1973] had the double sided gusset with the added triangle, plus a few other mods, the forks had four bolts in the bottom  triple clamp instead of two and the diagonal stays from the swingarm pivot to up under the tank were introduced instead of the horizontal ones. I could be wrong but I am pretty sure the M124/125 were the first to have a steering lock.

Cheers Greg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, mrb505 said:

That is a 91/92 series 2 frame I believe, that small gusset is standard on them and 124/125 frames or the ones I’ve seen anyway.

The difference between 91/92 series 2 headstock and 124/125 is the waist between the bearing positions on the 124/125

the photo is a m125 headstock

8F6F1583-3419-47E9-B6EE-A415A092277E.jpeg

5/10 for the welding 

1 hour ago, mrb505 said:

Yes that would fit, that photo is of a m151 with a pommy tank, the 150/151 had the 1st head steady and a improved headstock gusseting

Well we don’t have access to the amount of kangaroo skin that you Aussies have?

10 hours ago, sherpa325 said:

Yep the extra triangular gusset is factory correct. The first M92 had a single plate gusset on the headstock as the M80's had, and the second series M92[1973] had the double sided gusset with the added triangle, plus a few other mods, the forks had four bolts in the bottom  triple clamp instead of two and the diagonal stays from the swingarm pivot to up under the tank were introduced instead of the horizontal ones. I could be wrong but I am pretty sure the M124/125 were the first to have a steering lock.

Cheers Greg

That steering lock just stopped the willy nilly stamp marks being put on by anyone to totally confuse us all!!

The aluminium fuel tank and seat base combined was a lovely thing when new, but after a while they used to crack around the weld area of seat and tank...not good! The first one I ordered from Mr. Miller arrived with a whacking great dent in the side of the tank. After a quick phone call a new tank was despatched and the damaged item returned...no quibble! They cracked because they were not as strong as the original fibre glass items.

Were those UK tank/seat units made by Hommerlite? I remember them being light blue and silver and prone to dents when you dropped your bike. Rustynuts, your bike looks really nice, I hope you get it all sorted out soon. Bye, Peter B.

• Like 1

On 23/07/2018 at 9:08 PM, peterb said:

Were those UK tank/seat units made by Hommerlite? I remember them being light blue and silver and prone to dents when you dropped your bike. Rustynuts, your bike looks really nice, I hope you get it all sorted out soon. Bye, Peter B.

Yes I believe they were Homerlite made. But Mr Miller has many contacts so there may have been other makers.

9 hours ago, section swept said:

Yes I believe they were Homerlite made. But Mr Miller has many contacts so there may have been other makers.

Sorry to change thread slightly but just trying to increase my Knowledge.

I understand these tanks were made by Hommerlite and I have always known them as called "the Hommerlite tank"  Section swept refers to Mr Miller. At the time of these tanks were made  the official imported would have been Commerfords and i would have thought it was them who had these made.  Sammy Miller was just a dealer at that time albeit one with influence.   I would hate Mr Miller getting credit for something he was not responsible for but if I am wrong I stand to be corrected.   (read into that what you like!)

Stuart

Edited by twinnshock

I am pretty sure they were stocked by many Bultaco dealers not as a Sammy Miller Product but as Hommerlite, I assume Miller would have sold them as well. I remember having a set of Renthal bars that had 'SM' stamped on them, assuming that his shop had added the stamp or maybe it was done at the Renthal factory. Hommerlite also had other tanks as well as the Bultaco slimline unit.

Cheers Greg

• Like 1

On 26/07/2018 at 8:34 AM, twinnshock said:

Sorry to change thread slightly but just trying to increase my Knowledge.

I understand these tanks were made by Hommerlite and I have always known them as called "the Hommerlite tank"  Section swept refers to Mr Miller. At the time of these tanks were made  the official imported would have been Commerfords and i would have thought it was them who had these made.  Sammy Miller was just a dealer at that time albeit one with influence.   I would hate Mr Miller getting credit for something he was not responsible for but if I am wrong I stand to be corrected.   (read into that what you like!)

Stuart

He just sold them from his postal service or directly over the counter. I inferred that he might have had someone else make them to, what with his connections. I purchased my aluminium tank assembly from the Sammy Miller Accessories business, very good service and the tank fitted perfectly well. I didn’t suffer the cracking that some of these units developed, probably because I used rubber buffers to keep the frame tubes and underside of the unit separate. I sold the bike a few months later so have no idea if the unit cracked between the seat base and tank or anywhere else.? I use the term ‘Mr Miller’ as a point of respect. In so far as correcting any one, that is not for me to impart as we all learn from each other’s experience, knowledge and suggestions.?

Edited by section swept

On 7/22/2018 at 1:04 PM, sherpa325 said:

I could be wrong but I am pretty sure the M124/125 were the first to have a steering lock.

Factory parts manual lists steering lock for mod. 91 ser. no.  00727 onwards,  and for mod. 92 ser. no. 02387 onwards.

Presumably this denotes the start of the 2nd. series/Mk. 2  as these are also the change points for bottom yoke, etc. 

(Parts book makes no mention anywhere of Mk.1, Mk.2 referring simply to serial numbers)

Homerlite tank/seat unit as offered by Mr. Miller in his 1973 catalogue :-

'73 Sammy Miller catalogue.jpg

Edited by lorenzo
additional info.
  • Like 2