Suspension

jsp

17 hours ago, Nebulous said:

https://thehellteam.wordpress.com/2017/05/12/vertigo-fajardo-replica-unveiled/

Vertigo have once again been busy deleting web-pages. This is all I could find.

Easy to see why people liked the bike - regardless of any sensible considerations toward outdoor riding in an all-year round British climate.  Still , good-looker for sure - and aimed firmly at the teenage boy-racer.  Just lacks a good sound-system (and an ashtray!).

Think you’ll find that they call it a stash tray....most yuffs ?‍♂️wouldn’t even know what an ashtray is let alone how to use one. Their ashtray is the floor.

• Haha 1

On 7/22/2018 at 1:36 PM, jsp said:

I’m looking at doing some suspension tweaks on my bike, I just feel it’s a bit firm at both ends, I’ve had it about a year so it will all be well bedded in. It’s not something I’ve done before I tend to just get used to  how there set up but I feel I need to alter mine now. Any advice would be great 

Lots of interesting advice has been given, so thought I might add some.

Pre-load both ends to 30% sag with full riding kit on. You at 200lbs "dry" may need to change springs to attain this level of sag on the Vertigo.

Tire pressure as suggested at 4 (rear) 6 (front) at the elevation you ride at. I mention this because we ride from 200 feet to 5000 feet on a regular ride, during which the tire pressure change quite a bit during the ride.

To "soften" the ride, one may consider removing compression damping, and possibly increasing rebound damping. An increase in the rebound damping has an interesting, some would say detrimental effect on the bike; you loose traction. The rear tire cannot get back onto the ground as quickly, and therefore traction is compromised. It is softer to ride, so one has to adjust to suit ones riding style and preference knowing the trade-off. I would normally run the compression almost wide open, leaving enough to ensure that I do not bottom too hard or often. If you have high and lower speed compression adjustment, try running the low at wide open, and adjusting the high speed to control the bottom-out issue.

Try to keep the front and rear reacting in a similar fashion. If the front is soft and the rear is harder, the out of balance condition results is a less predictable bahaviour.

5 weight oil in the fork is best as suggested by the manufacturer of both the bike and the fork.

Do not run the rear lower than the front as this messes with the steering geometry, making the bike "fall" to the inside of corners.

I hope that this helps

• 2 months later...

@jsp Did you manage to sort this? I recently went to look at a Fajardo Rep that I was looking to buy and the owner had been in a similar situation. He was approx 65kg in weight and and he’d got the bike perfect for him by switching to lighter fork and shock springs, switching the fork oil to something thinner and also using a different fork seal that had less friction on the stroke. He could even use the stock settings this way rather than backing everything off to get it moving. 

A cheap and easy way to get an awesome bike working perfectly if you ask me.

Hope this helps if you haven’t sorted it yet. 

Did you get this sorted?? If Not Chris is hoping to be at the next West Leeds Trial so it might be worth a chat. As for the DL12 it's a bike to do the Scott and Scottish. The Farjardo is a bike suited to more Modern Trials and designed to react. The Engine is pretty much spot on for most trials on a weekend. We do know of a few people who have the DL12 but they are altering the engine to be more "Fajardo".

2 hours ago, telecat said:

Did you get this sorted?? If Not Chris is hoping to be at the next West Leeds Trial so it might be worth a chat. As for the DL12 it's a bike to do the Scott and Scottish. The Farjardo is a bike suited to more Modern Trials and designed to react. The Engine is pretty much spot on for most trials on a weekend. We do know of a few people who have the DL12 but they are altering the engine to be more "Fajardo".

That's interesting... Ik know that the dog-bone is different on recent models, but I didn't know that engine characteristics are that different. 

@Telecat: do you know what is altered? Different mapping only or changes to exhaust, butterfly and reeds as well. Regarding butterfly: my last Ossa had a 15 degree butterfly, that made throttle response more direct ('more snappy').

1 minute ago, tcrhino said:

That's interesting... Ik know that the dog-bone is different on recent models, but I didn't know that engine characteristics are that different. 

@Telecat: do you know what is altered? Different mapping only or changes to exhaust, butterfly and reeds as well. Regarding butterfly: my last Ossa had a 15 degree butterfly, that made throttle response more direct ('more snappy').

I know the Fajardo front pipe is different with an extra curve at the head, as well as the reeds and mapping. @telecat may know more. 

Regarding the suspension @telecat, other than it having the newer geometry like the Verticals, what else is different? Are the springs and settings adjusted to stiffen it up? I often hear how they’re stiffer and more suited to modern riding, but i’m intrigued to know how. 

Cheers

I've had a bit of a tweak on the front end and I'm now just trying it out. 

I know someone that totally changes the front fork springs and oil 

but I'm not sure I want to go that far. I only find it a bit harsh when your 

knocking on from section to section. I've heard that the DL12 was a bit 

gutless and flat with out the new programable ecu fitted and some 

adjustments made

The Info we have is that the Front pipe on the 2019 Vertical is a steel version of the Fajardo's and the Standard mapping is similar. The DL12 has a flatter response that Chris does not like. The Rear Suspension is also a derivative of the Fajardo but with a less adjustable Reiger.

Given the Spec of the standard Vertical Chris has been a bit reluctant to pull the trigger and order the new Bike. The tyres are Dunlops and He is used to the X-Lite. The Tech forks aren't the uprated ones either. Essentially he is looking for the bike with Renthal Bars, Michelin tyres, The Gold Tech forks, Uprated Reiger, Titanium Pipe and the Get ECU. Sort of a 2019 Ice Hell.

2 hours ago, telecat said:

Sort of a 2019 Ice Hell.

Would be great if Vertigo would offer the possibility to configure your own bike. Things like bars, forks, wheels, exhaust (Ti/Steel), triple clamps all have same fit and are mostly inter-changeable (with  limited choices of course). Similar with the configuration of a car.

I'm not convinced I'd be getting a much better bike than I have already if I changed mine, 

Plus I know of someone trying to sell there Fajardo replica as he's bought the DL12 and

its gone from £5250 to £4995 and now its £4795 which is a massive drop for a bike 

that was £7300 about 16 months ago !!!

14 hours ago, jsp said:

I was changing my rear wheel and I’ve noticed some play in the rear end which is coming from the bottom shocker bolt, I tried to tighten it up and it turns out the bolt has snapped 

EE12D21B-E5D4-4B78-AA4F-B0CE2FA7B1BD.jpeg

That bolt looks really worn where the shocker rides on it too. Was it worn or is that just the photo? Reason I ask, i’ve just replaced all the linkage bearings on mine and still have a tiny bit of movement in there. I never thought to have a good look at that bolt. A job for tonight I think...

23 minutes ago, jsp said:

but checking yours 

Checking makes good sense after every few rides. 
Regarding suspension: had my rear shock serviced a few weeks ago by Reiger. Slightly heavier spring (78 kilo) and other shims makes the bike a bit more nimble.
(In case you are wondering: I forgot to note the specs of the new spring..)