Age related plate for Classic bike.

Got a 71 M80 Bultaco Sherpa project on the go. If I want to register it with an age related page I'm thinking I'm best to do it before restoration so that it is clearly original. As it's over 40 years old it should be tax and MOT exempt but can you register the bike without these or do you still need them for first registration? Cheers.

Quite right a 71 Model M80 is tax and mot exempt. My 72 M80 was already reg. for the road. You might need a dating letter for the frame and possibly Bultaco UK / InMotion May be able to help. Possibly the details shown on Team Bultaco date your bike pages could be used as evidence to year of manufacture.

If you are going on road during daytime only then you only need an audible method of warning such as a bulb horn and of course a legal number plate. Tyres would need to be roadworthy as indeed the rest of the bike. You could use a battery powered horn or even a 6volt horn powered from the lighting coil. InMotion supplied me with a new LT coil which had an extra wire (red) to power the horn. With no lights you are at the mercy of the lighting laws and Mother Nature, should she decide to rain on you then you will need either to stop and wait for the rain to stop or just hope and go for it. If your M80 is going to wear lights then you will need a stop light as well. 

Theres another web site where this mot road worthy issue has been done to death. No lights at all means exactly that if you were having an mot test then the tester would add daytime use only. That really means no lights on the machine.

Dont forget that your number plate can be white letters and numbers on a black background, I dare say you could use a metal show plate with silver reg no.

I’ve finished my M80 and am looking to my next project bike. If I can help with any info, parts etc. Give me a pm??

Thanks. I've registered trials bikes before so I know the general drill. Just not sure how the process differs if your bike will be mot and tax exempt. Can you register just with a dating letter and nova certificate?

Think you’ll find that if it was fitted with a bulb horn hen new then that’s how it can stay. Certainly later bikes had to have an electrical horn. Maybe worthwhile visiting the VOSA web site for the exact interpretation. Your M80 is exempt 46+years old. Or have you another?