Model 27 rear brake pivot point question

jimg

May be a silly question, but from all the pictures I've seen of a Model 27, the rear brake arm pivot point is fastened behind the foot rest.  On my M27, the rear brake pivot point is fastened on the inside of the frame, opposite side of the footrest.  My frame does not have, nor ever looks like it had the small frame arm where the brake arm pivot should attach.  Perhaps over the years, someone made this modification, but has anyone ever seen or heard of this type of rear brake pivot point on a M27?  I'm wondering if there were a small batch made like this?  My description may not be understood, so I have attached a picture.  My frame and engine numbers match, but the frame number has a "J" stamped into it that I don't know what that designates; if anyone knows.  Thanks.

20180728_192319.thumb.jpg.078f41133f5a24d465a67b09b8e6ea5b.jpg

20180731_104339.thumb.jpg.ef8c61331a6b827e01e3483bec17ac40.jpg

Footrests aren’t correct so someone’s been modifying. Looks like they have used the footrest mount plate to hold in the rear brake pedal pivot, you can see a relief has been cut into the footrest mount plate. The swing arm spindle does not have enough threads into the nut, probably due to the thick footrest mounting plates. There should be st least 2-3 threads protruding from the securing nut.

Remove that shake proof/star washer and any washers on the other side of the swing arm through bolt and that should get you a bit more thread showing, use locative on the threads to secure the nut.

I personally don’t think the rear brake pedal pivot is in the wrong place, it looks just like mine 72 Model 80??

Footrests are Miller conversions as the originals are flat plate that don't fold. The rear brake pedal is probably a Miller mod as well, moving it to the inside which is where model 49 onwards pedals were located.The 27 had it behind the footrest as you say.

• Like 2

Thanks for the information.  I believe my question on the rear brake pivot location has been answered.  I do have the flat plate footrests, IRZ carb & manifold and some other OEM parts that I've kept off.  so it makes sense that someone did a modification.  Thanks for confirming. 

20180719_083151.jpg

• Like 3

Nice bike, I've got on myself to restore one day.  Any reason you've routed the aircleaner hose to carb inside of the sidepanel instead of though the slot?  (other than they're a bugger to fit...)

Forgot to mention the J on the headstock. This type of stamping has been mentioned before in other topics but no-one seems certain of what they represent. None of my bikes have them so not present on all

2 hours ago, jimg said:

Thanks for the information.  I believe my question on the rear brake pivot location has been answered.  I do have the flat plate footrests, IRZ carb & manifold and some other OEM parts that I've kept off.  so it makes sense that someone did a modification.  Thanks for confirming. 

20180719_083151.jpg

Front engine mounting bolt has no nut on it. But the bike looks really nice, what’s going on with the alloy side panel looks to be bent upwards on the lower edge. Is this why air pipe is wrongly routed?

Very good eyes!  I put the alloy side panel over the inlet tube thinking it looked better, but have since change it and routed it through.  Its not a show bike, but I'm proud of the restore I did.  since I have the attention a couple that know the M27, I have a few extra parts that I'd like your help on putting a value to for when I decide to sell.  see picture and if you would, tell me what the parts are worth...at a fair price.  I also have a second petro tank that was restored along with the one on the bike...same condition.   The cylinder is in excellent shape, but I haven't measure it yet to see if it has been rebored. Thanks.

20180731_184517.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 year later...

Jim,

Late reply, but you noted you have a second petrol tank. I would be interested if it is still available.

My tank is in poor condition and will need a new tunnel made as, for some reason, a previous owner has cut some of the tunnel out then patched it with aluminium sheet and epoxy.

At present my tank leaks and no longer fits over the frame tube.

Regards,

Peter (nzpeterb)