Matchless front wheel

rusty ken

Most of the photos and parts manuals for my G3LS Matchless show the front wheel fitted so the brake drum is on the near/left hand side. But on a number of photos, including the works Matchless and AJS, the wheel has been reversed so the brake drum is on  the right. I'm hoping someone out there can enlighen me on why the different approach?

2 hours ago, thai-ty said:

Negative photograph in a reverse mirror image?

Thanks for the suggestion, good idea. I've scanned back through the photos and the tank badges and reg numbers haven't reversed, so it must be something else, but no decent idea on what?

Roy Bacon's book shows brake diameters of 6 1/2", 7" & 8" for road bikes, 6 1/2" & 7" for the comp bikes & 5 1/2 " for trials bikes. Not easy to judge the sizes in a pic.

They probably pinched a lighter hub off something with brake drum on other side.

All sorts of strange things happened in those days.

Dick.

• 1 year later...

Near (LHS ) side best location for your drum as the cable run to lever follows a  progressive curved route which copes well with fork compression. (same as modern disc brakes). Most later bikes with drum brakes use this format, (Bultaco is one notable exception, just check out the strange cable bends on them).