Scratched fork?

kristian

Fitted All balls Fork seals and they started leaking after only being fitted for a month.  Thinking it was the cheap seals I decided to splash out and get a set of skf seals and dust covers. Anyway, first ride out and I notice the dreaded Weeping again ? upon close inspection I have a little scratch in the stanchion it’s really small but you can feel it if you rub your nail across it! Is there anyway to do a diy repair? I tried a bit of nail vanish on it but hasn’t worked although I was impatient and only left it an hour or so. Anyone got any tips for a solution without replacing? Thanks!

52 minutes ago, sirdabalot said:

Then pop it in the oven for 20 minutes on gas mark 3, serve with chips. 

sirdabalot,

I understand that sadly one of the Chuckle brothers  passed away earlier this week. With jokes like that have you thought of applying to be his replacment?

:D:D

Stuart

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Very worn 1200 grit wet and dry paper, oil and some gentle massaging around and over the scratch area. You may well be able to remove the scratch but you must not create a flat spot so keep the paper well oiled and moving around. Stop every few seconds and clean and inspect the area, you will generate a dull sheen with this method, but it is a tried and tested method used on a variety of components from gearbox shafts to crankshaft big and main bearing journals....it’s called rescuing the apprentices handy work. Once you have spent a minute or two with the wet and dry...ignore dry as you have oil on the paper, get some metal polish Autosolvol is good but there are others. Now with a very small amount of polish and a soft cloth wrap the cloth around the leg like scarf and pull alternately keeping the cloth over the dull area, stop, inspect and continue until you are satisfied, you might not remove all the dullness but it should provide a surface that a new lubed seal can slide over without leaking.

l suggest this to you without having seen the scratch but I am going on your description “a little scratch in the stanchion”. So I do not accept any liability if you use the method I have described for you and you make matters worse? What ever you end up doing I hope you are successful, pack the new fork slider seal with either silicon grease or in my case rubber lube grease (red). You might also then try the superglue trick but as the seals are quite flexible getting the scratch gone is favourite.

Edited by section swept
  • Like 1