250 or 300 Vertical? Custom maps?

Rki McV

Hi all

With the lack of 2017 250 Ice Hell and Fajardo reps on the market, i’m now looking at Verticals, mainly a 300 that I can pick up at a good price. 

I understand that in general, if you’re any less than a pro, you should stick with the 250’s.

I’m a 26yr old clubman level rider just getting back into trials after a few years out, and wondering what peoples thoughts are on the 250 vs 300? Are the 300’s a real monster to deal with or is there just a load of controllable torque?

Has anybody got experience of softening a 300 vertigo with the slow throttle, fly wheel weight and/or low compression head insert? 

Of course, I could just get the WiFiCom decice and modify the maps, has anybody tried that yet? Could that be a solution?  

Would appreciate some advice on this. 

Cheers

16 minutes ago, inchhigh said:

there's a nice looking 300 ice hell on eBay at the moment . I'm sure you could make it nice and soft . I've put a low comp head on a beta 290 and it made it very nice to ride

I’m only considering the 300 as it’s a 2018 Vertical at a great price. Tempted. 

8 minutes ago, oni nou said:

Make that x2 ....there is a brand new 2017 ice hell 250 for sale at ST.BLAZEYMX.CO.UK £6,200 ......problem solved..... phone them up and buy it immeadiately.

Id rather buy a nearly new Vertical for less than that but my budget doesn’t suit either, hence I was looking for a used Ice Hell :) 

Hi Ricki, the Ice or Camo 300 with a low compression insert works really well. It takes the edge off the low end response and makes for a more relaxing ride up the becks. This size motor feels slower to respond than the Vertical 250. I haven't tried a Vertical 300 with a low comp insert, but imagine it would perform similar. Changing the inserts does not take very long. The 300 would be my choice from the 2 engine sizes. Bye, Peter B.

• Thanks 1

Mine softened itself!The fuel filter split lowering the fuel pressure and weakening the mixture.The fuel pump then gradually lost pressure over a few months again weakening the mixture.The electronic control box corroded and i lost all power again that made it slower!I spent that many nights in  the garage the wife thought i was having an affair with someone in there?The owner of the local pub filed a missing report with the police!Good luck with your vertical/vertigo!

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, andrewmorpeth said:

Mine softened itself!The fuel filter split lowering the fuel pressure and weakening the mixture.The fuel pump then gradually lost pressure over a few months again weakening the mixture.The electronic control box corroded and i lost all power again that made it slower!I spent that many nights in  the garage the wife thought i was having an affair with someone in there?The owner of the local pub filed a missing report with the police!Good luck with your vertical/vertigo!

Hope you got all that sorted under warranty :o 

Gearbox replaced under warranty.Electronic control box replaced under warranty.Used fuel filter sent in post,if that counts as warranty.Fuel pump I had to diagnose and replace myself with an upgrade from USA ,same fuel pump as a Ktm sxf 250 by the way.Cracked engine mount replaced.Never did solve the leaking crank case seal?Gave up I have to admit in the end.I maybe should have spent a bit more and bought the titanium framed one?

Thanks for the info @peterb @gu9cci. I think i'll go for the 300 then if I can come to a deal on it this weekend. Is there any concern with the extra power at the top end on the 300, after mellowing out the bottom end? I guess that bit comes down to rider control, because even a 250 could land you in trouble if you open it up too much right? Cheers

20 hours ago, andrewmorpeth said:

Gearbox replaced under warranty.Electronic control box replaced under warranty.Used fuel filter sent in post,if that counts as warranty.Fuel pump I had to diagnose and replace myself with an upgrade from USA ,same fuel pump as a Ktm sxf 250 by the way.Cracked engine mount replaced.Never did solve the leaking crank case seal?Gave up I have to admit in the end.I maybe should have spent a bit more and bought the titanium framed one?

Gutted for you having all that trouble! Was that on a Vertical or one of the earlier ones? That's the first real negative report i've heard on them. What did you replace it with? 

On ‎10‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 8:08 AM, andrewmorpeth said:

I had similar experience, great concept, I was really excited but never quite ran right, gave up in the end.  back to conventional fuelling no probs since.

7 hours ago, the dabster said:

I had similar experience, great concept, I was really excited but never quite ran right, gave up in the end.  back to conventional fuelling no probs since.

Was that a Vertical too? 

1 hour ago, Ricki mcvey said:

Was that a Vertical too? 

No  I bought two brand new combats. Well engineered, build first class not sure if they are too clever but I was too scared to repeat the process.  to be fair I have seen them go fine for others but wasn't my experience unfortunately.  Then again they have honoured a lot of repairs on a local bike I have seen so pay your money and all that.  My confidence went, never had a beta or a gasser that behaved like that ever and they are equal if not better to ride according to some so the bottom line is it comes down to personal choice.  My thinking is the bikes are all so good now why would I risk the unpredictable nature of one particular brand.  The other factor for me was I lost a fortune when selling which has a bit to do with the way the bikes were rolled out, that has been mitigated slightly by the introduction of some dealers now.

• Thanks 1