Is this cylinder damage? TY 250 A

Tillerman6

11 minutes ago, copemech said:

and after all that you are going to ride the antique 20 miles out into the bush with no buddy and no cell service? here is your sign!

It all depends on your point of view.  I could stay home and watch TV and be real "safe" and then die of cancer or a heart attack.  Something is gonna get you one way or the other, so why not enjoy yourself while you can?  I do pretty much stay on the fire roads so there is usually a car coming by in a few hours anyway.  I don't go blasting thru the trees like I used to so the biggest worry is probably a bear or a pack of wolves.  But they are pretty scarce too. No rattlesnakes this far North.  The wife would just say "well he died doing what he loved to do" and that would be that.

I am working on the buddy thing.  It's a lot more fun that way for sure.  but then you get into a situation like "hey watch this" and you do something really stupid.  I'm almost 70 years young so I have been there done that and I have the scars to prove it. 

I sort of ride to go exploring.  If the trail drops off the edge I just turn around and laugh.  Some of the trails up here are so steep you would have to have ropes to climb them on foot, so even though they are marked for motorcycle use I have to wonder what kind of a motorcycle they are talking about when they put the signs up!  Maybe a Rokon with chains on both tires.

And is a cell phone really that good anyway?  Two months ago my step daugher was hiking and almost fell off the side of a mountain. She fractured her leg and had to be carried out on a stretcher which I made out of stuff I had in the shop.  She was with her sister, but there was no cell service up there.  Her sister walked down the trail back to her car and drove 20 miles to where she could get cell service and then called 911.  No answer.  Tried several times No ANSWER.  So she called home and we rescued her ourselves with the home made stretcher.  She had to make camp that night with her sister but we came with some help in the morning and it took most of the day to carry her off the mountain.

As far as the bike it will be in fine shape again pretty soon.  I feel much safer on it than any of the taller bikes they make these days.  And I don't have to have a ladder to get on.  And I don't have to mortgage my house again to buy one, so that's why the antique bike.  Just exactly the way I want it.

If you have friends to ride with that want to go when you want to go then consider yourself lucky!  I still have the old friends but they gave up riding years ago.  Sad for them.  They think I'm crazy but the truth Is I really don't care what they think.  What doesn't kill you makes you stronger!

2 minutes ago, b40rt said:

If its alloy you may melt it, steel is ok to burn.

This one is steel outside including the tail pipe, but i will check to see if any of the end covers are something else.  I think there is a rubber gasket and a rubber flap just at the joint between the two pipes?Maybe that is part of the air box, and there is a rubber shock mount thing on the tail pipe that will have to come off before the fire gets lit. And some hardware etc etc.  No problem, but thanks for the heads up. I think I did see one TY at the last trials event with an aluminum tail pipe "box" and yeah that would not be something I would put in the fire anyway.  I have some 15 years as an amateur machinist and now I'm getting into aluminum foundry work so I have a pretty good idea of how thin aluminum can be damaged by heat.

So if I read your description of the area ?that you ride correctly you’ll need the following.

1 a big hand gun of some sort?say a Magnum and ammunition....for the bears. 2 a very loud screeching horn....for the Wolves. 3 a sat phone like Lone Survivors team used ( Mark Wharlberg) 4 comprehensive first aid kit ?with snake ? bite serum.  5 a good camera? so you can make us all envy where you live with all that scenery. Bottle of water and food.??☕️

If your tail pipe is the genuine Yamaha item made of steel then it should be classed as a spark arrester....to be legal will you not have to comply or are your cops lenient. If your bike is noisy will that in itself drive away any bear of wolf pack, it would be very scary to have to stop and repair your bike only to have a Grissly passing you tools?? and the wolves making camp to watch⛺️

15 hours ago, Tillerman6 said:

Feetupfun and guys,

Well, yes if I was close to anyone that could bore a cylinder I would walk it in there and have them tell me what piston to order,

Don't have that option. And I want the shop to fit the new bore to the new piston, not the other way around. 

It's a whole new can of worms to me. They have to bore until the cylinder wall cleans up plus enough for clearances on the next size piston that is available.  Nobody knows at what dimension that is going to happen until they start making chips.

I don't know if they can do all that in one setup. I would not want to try it without having the new pistons in my hand to measure.  Even then it would be a guess the first time.

Tough job to get it right.

I am not friends with Millenium Technologies in any way.  If it turns out that they let me down,  I will be the first one to let you guys all know it.  If they do a fine job, then that too will be widely known on here.

If the other guy that had the Nikasil work done on his bike would like to comment on his experience (who ever that was) I would be very grateful to hear all about it.

Wish me luck!

Yes good luck with the electrofusion/nikisil or whatever it's called.

My cylinder machinist lives 600 km away yet it is normal practice to get them to measure the cylinder and advise me what oversize piston to buy.

I post the cylinder to him, wait for his advice and then order a piston kit to be delivered to him. He does the job and then posts the cylinder and piston kit back to me.

I cleaned a few muffler by burning them, but I never '' played '' with the baffle, I have a couple on the shelve coming from different basket case I bought a few years back. That's why my comment started by I don't think.

Good luck with the cylinder, I will quote a famous personnage again : '' Patience my friend, happy you will be when work is done ''.

Guy

• Like 1

6 hours ago, section swept said:

So if I read your description of the area ?that you ride correctly you’ll need the following.

1 a big hand gun of some sort?say a Magnum and ammunition....for the bears. 2 a very loud screeching horn....for the Wolves. 3 a sat phone like Lone Survivors team used ( Mark Wharlberg) 4 comprehensive first aid kit ?with snake ? bite serum.  5 a good camera? so you can make us all envy where you live with all that scenery. Bottle of water and food.??☕️

If your tail pipe is the genuine Yamaha item made of steel then it should be classed as a spark arrester....to be legal will you not have to comply or are your cops lenient. If your bike is noisy will that in itself drive away any bear of wolf pack, it would be very scary to have to stop and repair your bike only to have a Grissly passing you tools?? and the wolves making camp to watch⛺️

True on all that equipment except the snake bite kit.  No snakes up here.  The hand gun is too heavy to lug around. I will take some pics of the innards of the tail pipe and you guys can tell me if there are any parts missing as far as a spark arrestor.  I did not see anything like that inside, but there was just the oil soaked packing material that looks like fiberglass and the tube assembly that holds it in place. 

The scenery is awesome. Might need a bee sting kit this summer.  They are bad and can ruin your day for two weeks.

The advice on bears- If it's a grizzly you can play dead and they might just wander off.  If it's a brown bear or a black bear you have to try and fight it off with whatever you can they are unpredictable. But the thing with them is don't make eye contact.  They take that as a threat and then they want to defend "their territory"

A good camera- Yup.  I will try and put some shots on here for you guys to drool over.  No problem.

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

43 minutes ago, Tillerman6 said:

True on all that equipment except the snake bite kit.  No snakes up here.  The hand gun is too heavy to lug around. I will take some pics of the innards of the tail pipe and you guys can tell me if there are any parts missing as far as a spark arrestor.  I did not see anything like that inside, but there was just the oil soaked packing material that looks like fiberglass and the tube assembly that holds it in place. 

The scenery is awesome. Might need a bee sting kit this summer.  They are bad and can ruin your day for two weeks.

The advice on bears- If it's a grizzly you can play dead and they might just wander off.  If it's a brown bear or a black bear you have to try and fight it off with whatever you can they are unpredictable. But the thing with them is don't make eye contact.  They take that as a threat and then they want to defend "their territory"

A good camera- Yup.  I will try and put some shots on here for you guys to drool over.  No problem.

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

Apart from the bears this could be a forest in Wales,  you are so lucky.

On 8/19/2018 at 12:34 PM, Tillerman6 said:

Guys,

I started a thread asking about cleaning the tailpipe and got side tracked a bit.  Can anyone look at these photos for me and see if that intake side port opening looks damaged or modified or normal? in some way?

It looks to me that one side of the opening is lower than the other, and somehow it might have been caused by someone in there with a grinder?  The right side of the image is much shinier than the left side as well, so I don't know why that would be the case.  All I did was wash the whole jug with water and a solvent and I did not scrub this area on the right any more than I did on the left side.  So something has been in there either with a lot of heat or what is your esteemed opinion?  Before it was washed there were also tiny beads of silver colored metal stuck to the intake port surfaces but only on that same side.  These beads were on the order of .005" in diameter and resembled weld spatter from a MIG welder.  Any ideas?  I had some detonation issues while decelerating with the throttle closed (My bad) as I was thinking that the engine would cool itself down better with the throttle closed than by blipping the throttle with the clutch pulled in.

TY 250 A pictures 010.JPG

I was emailed by Millenium Technologies today.  (8/22/18) They changed what they were going to do to the cylinder and instead of a bore and Nikasil they are going to re-sleeve it and hone.  The price dropped about 50 bucks so far from the original estimate.  I will try and call them tomorrow and see what happened to make them change the order, but I would think it was the abberation at the intake port.

TY 250 Tailpipe 013.JPG

TY 250 Tailpipe 014.JPG

TY 250 Tailpipe 015.JPG

TY 250 Tailpipe 016.JPG

TY 250 Tailpipe 017.JPG

TY 250 Tailpipe 018.JPG

TY 250 Tailpipe 019.JPG

TY 250 Tailpipe 020.JPG

TY 250 Tailpipe 009.JPG

TY 250 Tailpipe 010.JPG

TY 250 Tailpipe 011.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Guys,

Well, Millenium got a look at the original cylinder and decided to pass on it.  They said it could be re-sleeved, but the aluminum part of the cylinder had been modified and would not be an economical candidate for further repairs.  The problem would have come when trying to make the aluminum part of the cylinder match the original contours under the liner which had been cut away by the modification of the previous owner.  So rather than pouring more money into something that may not work, I bought another cylinder on Ebay.   I inspected it for signs of damage or deterioration or modifications and there was just the normal wear.  The intake port was symetrical and had not been modified. So it's on it's way to Millenium now.