250 or 300

malcolm easson

My son is keen to get back into trials. He is keen to get a Beta. Am looking for a 250 for him but there is not many good used ones for sale (looking at 2014/2015 models). There seems to be a lot of 300s for sale. Just wondered if this would be to much power for him. He is 17 and about 10 st.

32 minutes ago, johnsandywhite said:

Depends how good his right hand is? I'm 75 this year and in my 3rd year of riding. I have always preferred 300s. Jotagas, Gas Gas Raga and 2 Sherco 300s, the last one a 2017 Factory.5b7d119ba9b2e_NorthWillingham-Scn1-03-06-2018.jpg.a38e7d15f6840bc7feaa79a8ac88296a.jpg

Bet you’ve got a Fireblade tucked away in the garage, just for when it’s nice and dry to have a blast on?

• Haha 1

Depends on your lads level of fitness and experience. What was he last riding? A 300 sounds big but in reality when compared to the 250 there’s only approximately 46 cc difference. The torque is the difference and a 300 could be more forgiving in capable hands, one may actually suit your son more so than a 250. Having said that there’s a confidence issue that riding a 250 isn’t quite so threatening. The last Enduro I rode a WR 450 and although a totally different animal that bigger engine lugged away in taller gears leaving you to ride and worry about changing gear when it was more practical. 

Are you intending any road work, licence laws may affect any decision. Oh to be 17 and 10 stone again, when I was that age my father bought me a new 250 Sprite (£167) power was probably the last consideration made. Hope you get a good bike.?

• Like 1

As above really, all depends on ability and how comfortable he feels on a 300. Ideally have a go on both and see how he feels. My old 15 300 Evo was great fun, but in all honestly didn't do my riding any good and would happily bite even when softened off, you can slow the power down with low comp head, base gasket changes, slow throttle, smooth it with a flywheel weight etc (if pre-15 i think) but all takes money and time I guess.

Jumped back on a  250, albeit a Gas Gas and I'm still a terrible rider but alot happier and will be sticking to 250s for  the foreseeable future.

In 95% of sections i come across at club level a 125 is fine and easier in a lot - for the record I'm 13st and I've known guys nearer the 15st have a lot of fun on smaller bikes, even 80s.  Just the odd longer loop or bank where being able to pull 3/4th makes life easier, a better rider wouldn't have a problem at club level and at 10st I wouldn't write off a go on a 125, or maybe for a few months/until a 250 turns up?

• Thanks 1