TXT 2012/13 Rear shock removal

Canario

3 hours ago, faussy said:

You've never needed to remove the skidplate!

Wheel out, airbox off, dogbones off, remove top bolt, and out it comes

Thank you very much! 

Regarding the dogbones: Would you take them completely off or is it sufficient to remove the bolts M8 x 38 only that fixes the bones to the frame. Or the other way round: Removing only the bolt M10 x 125 that connects the dogbones to the linkage plates?

Thank you in advance, Canario

Its easier to remove the M10 bolt because you also have to remove the bolt that connects the linkage plate to the swingarm. That way the shock can come out with the just the linkage plate connected to it. So two bolt removals

Although, if its been a while since its been out you may want to take the dogbones completely out and grease them, since youve gone this far

On 8/23/2018 at 1:18 PM, Canario said:

Thank you very much! 

Regarding the dogbones: Would you take them completely off or is it sufficient to remove the bolts M8 x 38 only that fixes the bones to the frame. Or the other way round: Removing only the bolt M10 x 125 that connects the dogbones to the linkage plates?

Thank you in advance, Canario

My advice... take the whole thing apart and check all the bushings and bearing, grease or replace as appropriate.  Not sure where you ride (dry or wet) and when was the last time you serviced the suspension linkage, but that should be a regular maintenance item on these bikes (once a year minimum).  And while you have the shock and linkage off the bike, might as well take and extra 15 mn to drop the swingarm and grease / replace the bearings there while you are at it :P

• Like 1

Hi guys,

thank you very much for your recommendations and advices. :thumbup:

In the meantime I could remove and reinstall the rear shock. I also greased the bearings.

Biggest challenge was to find a way for loosening the screw which is connected to the swing arm (not enough space for the nut). With the stiffer spring, let's see if I can now compete against Toni or Pat... ;)

Canario