Montesa 349 what year???

Lee Stephens

Hi I'm in the process of buying a montesa 349 which numbers are 51m22907 anybody know what year this is any information much appreciated regards Lee 

It has the fuel level pipe in the side of the tank if that makes it any easier to date???$_58 (2).JPG

Edited by Lee Stephens

I bought a brand new 349 as above in August 1980, it's frame number was 51M16853 and then bought a new 'white wonder' ! 349 in August of 1982, it's frame number was 51M24013.

So perhaps you're looking at one of the last of these from around 1981 ?

On 25/08/2018 at 5:23 PM, woody said:

Not sure you can date a 349 from the frame number as I don't think it is recorded anywhere. There were three models types of 349 and all start 51. You need a picture really

I think maybe 4 x Cota 349 models, not sure of the early years but the last is known as 349/4, aka Cota 350 and MH 349 which were all '83/'84 models I believe. The last big bore twin shock Cota was the 330(61M) in 1985. 

Edited by fourex
Additional info about 330.

It's the first 349 model and sold in 1979 and 1980. The following 349 model was the White Wonder.

The standard swingarm on this model is longer than other 349s. They are not easiest trials bike to ride in tight sections, due to the motor and the wheelbase. They are awesomely good for riding up mountains.

7 hours ago, fourex said:

I think maybe 4 x Cota 349 models, not sure of the early years but the last is known as 349/4, aka Cota 350 and MH 349 which were all '83/'84 models I believe, the 330 being the next and last big bore twin shock from Montesa in 1985.

The 349/4 is a very underrated bike, handles well, great power, grips well, just let down by the clutch if ever it needs to be used in sections, I had the 350 version.  The 330 was a seperate model though, completely different from the 349 and a different chassis prefix from 51

These Montesa’s were heavily discounted and advertised in Motor Cycle News, not sure if it was Sandifords selling them but they were crated up so you effectively bought a bike and had to build it up yourself. I think this would have been around 1980 ish the price was £699 I could be wrong. If only you could go back in time I’d be into at least three for myself.?

11 hours ago, fourex said:

I think maybe 4 x Cota 349 models, not sure of the early years but the last is known as 349/4, aka Cota 350 and MH 349 which were all '83/'84 models I believe, the 330 being the next and last big bore twin shock from Montesa in 1985.

yes it's the first 349, the second 349 red had a lower seat, then arrive the white 349

the red 349 had some problems (broken frame and gear box) and heavy to ride

in classic trial race you never see a 349 (at least in Italy)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

just found this post and I ended up buying the bike. Never had a trial bike thought I'd have a go at renovating one and here goes.

its a 1981, white 'wonder' as someone's referred to it as on one of the hundred posts I've read so far. The frames been painted black over the original red and the tank red over the orig white. 51m22907 fits with this.

the question now is do I put it back to its original white wonder status or keep with the redd? 

what do you boys, in the know, think and are there any pointers with regard to the history of this bike? Problems, things I should look out for?

wheres the best place in the uk to source reasonably priced parts? Or do I go abroad? Southwest Montesa in the USA was really helpful.

wheres the best place to get diagrams and manuals?

Thanks and any advice always appreciated 

cheers, 

Midds

Oh and the red Montesa symbol on the left hand side of the engine was like crayon and came off on the first clean. The same symbol seems permanent or original on the right side?

apparently this was bought over for the isdt but ?

On 8/25/2018 at 5:10 PM, Lee Stephens said:

Hi I'm in the process of buying a montesa 349 which numbers are 51m22907 anybody know what year this is any information much appreciated regards Lee 

It has the fuel level pipe in the side of the tank if that makes it any easier to date???$_58 (2).JPG

If this is the bike you bought and it has a fuel level pipe in the side of the tank, then it's not a White Wonder tank