Ducati trials bike

rusty nuts

This will be the Italian version of the BSA C15 Otter and probably cost the same. Who ever built this Ducati powered machine looks as though it will do the business right well. Just like the C15 the sump looks vulnerable. None the less a breath of fresh air in this jelly mold era.

• Like 1

It's a 160 not a 250. Of all the Ducati's I've always though that the 160 would make the best pre-65 trials bike. If I could pick up a donor bike for sensible money it's what I would build just to be different! 

The frame looks fairly standard but it's hard to tell if the headstock angles have been modified from the picture. 

Edited by smokey125
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, smokey125 said:

It's a 160 not a 250. Of all the Ducati's I've always though that the 160 would make the best pre-65 trials bike. If I could pick up a donor bike for sensible money it's what I would build just to be different! 

The frame looks fairly standard but it's hard to tell if the headstock angles have been modified from the picture. 

What model Ducati is it based on?

9 minutes ago, feetupfun said:

What model Ducati is it based on?

I would have thought the most likely option is the 160 Monza Junior. 

The cranckcases were different on the 250 version. Of all the Ducati singles the 160 is probably the best option for a trials bike due to the compact size and potential power to weight ratio. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cleanorbust said:

5b81af3386747_GauntDucati.jpg.21d5aed87dcf9b5cba71ead405232822.jpg 

I always liked Peter Gaunt's 350 Ducati, built to take on the Bultacos and Montesas in the 1971 Scottish Six Days and seen here prior to that event.

Had a closer look at the picture if this one. The seat rails have been modified to lower the seat and move the top mounting for the rear units. The mounting point on the swing arm has also been modified slightly. 

The lower rails of the rear triangle have also been shortened seeming the allow space for the exhaust. Not sure that is the best idea as I would of thought it would exaggerate what is the naturally weakest area of the Ducati frame. 

1 hour ago, smokey125 said:

Had a closer look at the picture if this one. The seat rails have been modified to lower the seat and move the top mounting for the rear units. The mounting point on the swing arm has also been modified slightly. 

The lower rails of the rear triangle have also been shortened seeming the allow space for the exhaust. Not sure that is the best idea as I would of thought it would exaggerate what is the naturally weakest area of the Ducati frame. 

Whatever model the two bikes started out as they both look really tidy and very well built, refreshingly different. I personally would love to be able to spend time just looking over either one, to be offered a ride on one would also be brilliant....?Of the two the Peter Gaunt version carries more historical input, whereas the other carries more of the modern development ideas that many trials bikes share. My personal opinion again would probably find that the red one rides a little better, I dream on☺️?

• Like 1

I agree would be more than happy with either of them. I’ve always like things that are a bit different and a Ducati for pre-65 certainly fits different! 

For reference the Peter Gaunt one is probably a 350 Sebring. Same as the pictures! 

56675D69-ACDA-408E-A7EC-E3421044B285.jpeg

69248122-41BD-4CAB-A0CE-17896754A20D.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, smokey125 said:

I agree would be more than happy with either of them. I’ve always like things that are a bit different and a Ducati for pre-65 certainly fits different! 

For reference the Peter Gaunt one is probably a 350 Sebring. Same as the pictures! 

56675D69-ACDA-408E-A7EC-E3421044B285.jpeg

69248122-41BD-4CAB-A0CE-17896754A20D.jpeg

Agree about a Ducati being a different option from the norm in pre 65 these days, but of course the Gaunt Ducati wouldn't qualify for that. Worth remembering that when it was built, it had to go up against the best Spanish bikes of the day in trials up to national level, which PG would routinely be riding, where everyone rode the same sections - no yellow routes, white routes or whatever!

Edited by cleanorbust

5 hours ago, cleanorbust said:

Agree about a Ducati being a different option from the norm in pre 65 these days, but of course the Gaunt Ducati wouldn't qualify for that. Worth remembering that when it was built, it had to go up against the best Spanish bikes of the day in trials up to national level, which PG would routinely be riding, where everyone rode the same sections - no yellow routes, white routes or whatever!

The 350 was definitely available in 65 and possible 64. The 250 version which is basically the same was available from 62 so the bikes themselves are old enough. It's only a case of if you have to prove it one was used pre-65! 

If he built it in 71 I doubt it was from a new machine as the "widecase" version of the bike was released in 69. This was taken all the way to 450cc but is significantly heavier and quite a bit wider than the narrowcase model he used. 

1 hour ago, rusty nuts said:

Another offering from Italy was this moto morini trials  machine , I can not be biast I own a 1975 mk 1 350 sport v twin

So am I. The racer is my dad's I raced it for about 20 seasons. Last time I rode it I finished 3rd in the 2015 Classic Junior TT. 

I also have a Moto Guzzi 250 TS as a different road bike! 

Edited by smokey125
  • Like 2