Next item to modify (for me) Rear Brake Lever

Tillerman6

1 hour ago, Tillerman6 said:

Guys,

Does anyone know if this rear 5b89fa345e082_TYBrakebenddetail.thumb.jpg.bc7583c3475365a1fc03d68218362bb7.jpgbrake lever is off of another model (factory bend) or is it something anyone can do with a propane torch and a vice?  Notice how the pegs are in the rear position and the brake lever is still easily accessable?

That's a standard TY250A brake pedal. The pegs are standard TY250A in the standard position.

There was a trail-riding kit available from Yamaha that had a different footpeg location and a different brake pedal and a bigger seat

Feetupfun,

OK that's exactly what I needed to know.  This pic is from a Craigslist bike for sale.  Apparently my bike has the kit you mentioned.  I was confused by the parts manual that I have.  It shows a straight brake lever similar to mine.  So what I will do is try and find a bent one like the picture above on Ebay.  I think it would be best to have both versions on hand. 

OK,

Here are some more pictures of my own bike rear brake lever.  You can see that is is not set up right for trials, and does not really work for trails either.  Too low and too far forwards.

And tucked in too tight to the cases.  It hits the cases at one of the bends.  So this one is scrapped as soon as my Ebay purchase gets here.  looks like you have to remove the swing arm to get the brake lever off and on?

003.JPG.31f5f63fad6aad0175478d9ef4e9c6b1.JPG004.JPG.ff16d842bdccb7316f6d4738e91dda02.JPG

56 minutes ago, 2stroke4stroke said:

You'll also need to cut some serrations in those footrests, those pimples won't do much.  

2stroke4stroke,

Yes,  I think I will do some more modifications on those pegs.  They are a bit too large in all directions.  But you would be surprised how much grip they do have.  It's the outer rim that is doing all the gripping of the boot sole.  Not the inner peg surfaces.  And you won't cut your shins to pieces on those if you get crazy and ride in your shorts.  But they are definitely not for trials use. Just for casual trail riding.  And up till now that is all I was doing with the bike.  It might get a little expensive to convert it back from a trail bike to a trials bike.  At the very least I need a trials seat and maybe a different gear shift lever.  The gear shift lever is also too long for the trials position of the pegs.  Oh well, it's only money.

Looks like a little reshaping to that rear brake pedal will see it providing plenty of useful action. It’s like nearly all TY levers when the bike gets dropped the levers get tweaked in more and more....tweak it back out and all should be well. Those pedal mods look as though they have been welded onto the standard Yamaha pegs, they are dwarfing the brake lever! 

6 hours ago, section swept said:

Looks like a little reshaping to that rear brake pedal will see it providing plenty of useful action. It’s like nearly all TY levers when the bike gets dropped the levers get tweaked in more and more....tweak it back out and all should be well. Those pedal mods look as though they have been welded onto the standard Yamaha pegs, they are dwarfing the brake lever! 

The brake pedal in the photo is not tweaked, it is from the "trail" kit and the tip is too far forwards for use in conjunction with the "trials" footpeg location

6 hours ago, section swept said:

Have to agree with Feetupfun. About the brake lever.  The bike has the big seat and most likely has the trail kit installed.  I did not know that the trail kit included a different brake lever.  But now I do.

Agree on the size of the pegs, but I wanted something big to make standing on the pegs more comfortable.  And they are, but I think I went too big.

002.JPG

That’s the modification game, but hey, if they work for you then excellent. Revisiting your photo of the brake lever here are a few shots of my 250E. The gear-lever is original but I like mine high so it’s me selecting gears and not rocks and stumps. Stainless strap is to keep tootsies out of chain. 

E7C77ED5-FF4A-4E3A-9461-AA5757E8B695.jpeg

8AE30C50-3D99-4646-B0DC-95F5D3B48749.jpeg

2F07AC9A-20F1-460B-AE3C-69786BB8E98C.jpeg

6 hours ago, feetupfun said:

The brake pedal in the photo is not tweaked, it is from the "trail" kit and the tip is too far forwards for use in conjunction with the "trials" footpeg location

Agree having looked again at photo, my mistake. Sent photos of original levers on my TY E.?

Section Swept,

That brake lever on your bike is about where I want mine to end up. I'm hoping that the ebay lever I bought will work, (see picture below)  It does not seem to be exactly bent like the one on the first Craigslist pictures, but maybe I can tweak it or modify it to work.  Anything would be better than what I've got now.  Apparently there were different versions (of the shorter stock Trials version)  or everyone tweaks them to taste. Main thing is to get the pad end out from under the side of the case where my big foot can find it.  That problem is what eventually led to me changing my riding style and using the engine for braking.  And that would be OK for a 2 foot hill, but where I ride the hills are very steep and long, so I really have to change and use the brakes a lot more.  I got lazy with the clutch and I think it was doing damage to the cylinder with all my "Jake Braking"  on longer downhill stretches. 

Anyway, the Ebay seller said that this was from a 74.  See what you think.5b8c03e7a996c_74EbayBrakeLever.thumb.jpg.4bcaca63d9c4ca448abc4a9d58ac3d62.jpg

8 hours ago, Tillerman6 said:

Section Swept,

That brake lever on your bike is about where I want mine to end up. I'm hoping that the ebay lever I bought will work, (see picture below)  It does not seem to be exactly bent like the one on the first Craigslist pictures, but maybe I can tweak it or modify it to work.  Anything would be better than what I've got now.  Apparently there were different versions (of the shorter stock Trials version)  or everyone tweaks them to taste. Main thing is to get the pad end out from under the side of the case where my big foot can find it.  That problem is what eventually led to me changing my riding style and using the engine for braking.  And that would be OK for a 2 foot hill, but where I ride the hills are very steep and long, so I really have to change and use the brakes a lot more.  I got lazy with the clutch and I think it was doing damage to the cylinder with all my "Jake Braking"  on longer downhill stretches. 

Anyway, the Ebay seller said that this was from a 74.  See what you think.5b8c03e7a996c_74EbayBrakeLever.thumb.jpg.4bcaca63d9c4ca448abc4a9d58ac3d62.jpg

Looks good to me