Next item to modify (for me) Rear Brake Lever

Tillerman6

On 9/1/2018 at 9:52 AM, Tillerman6 said:

OK,

Here are some more pictures of my own bike rear brake lever.  You can see that is is not set up right for trials, and does not really work for trails either.  Too low and too far forwards.

And tucked in too tight to the cases.  It hits the cases at one of the bends.  So this one is scrapped as soon as my Ebay purchase gets here.  looks like you have to remove the swing arm to get the brake lever off and on?

003.JPG.31f5f63fad6aad0175478d9ef4e9c6b1.JPG004.JPG.ff16d842bdccb7316f6d4738e91dda02.JPG

Below are some pics of the installation of the Trials version brake pedal which is installed on the bike now.  Please note that I did have to remove the rear wheel and swing arm to get enough access to remove the brake pedal.   don't know if you can see it, but the standard Trials pedal is a lot more accessible to the right foot now and I will probably leave this one on the bike for the forseable future.5b90b3e567127_Brakepedal003.JPG.fe249e5029df0e44c0a1ff12fe56ae21.JPG

Absolutely, along with the other changes I've made my TY feels very similar to ride to the 125 TXTPro I used to have (ie. nice and easy for a rubbish rider, lol).  It's also only 10Kg heavier now, which I can live with :)

In comparison, the Cota doesn't need the pegs moving, but then it was a "proper" trials bike when new, whereas the TY was a trail-trial bike for teenagers originally

On 9/11/2018 at 12:59 AM, turbofurball said:

Absolutely, along with the other changes I've made my TY feels very similar to ride to the 125 TXTPro I used to have (ie. nice and easy for a rubbish rider, lol).  It's also only 10Kg heavier now, which I can live with :)

In comparison, the Cota doesn't need the pegs moving, but then it was a "proper" trials bike when new, whereas the TY was a trail-trial bike for teenagers originally

Could you please please post some pictures of your TY?  I am starting to understand, but without pictures it's a lot harder.  Also I was thinking of getting a TY 175 as a second bike, but I don't know much about them, and they only come up for sale rarely around here, so I was hoping to see what your bike is like and boost my knowledge.  I am especially interested in mods for better control and rider comfort if that is what you are doing.

On 9/10/2018 at 9:20 PM, tony27 said:

Makes balancing much easier, generally the kits that are sold also move them rearwards a bit

I apologize for my ignorance, but you must be saying that the rear brake can be used to help balance the bike?  Can you elaborate a bit? 

And are you saying that the kits will move the pegs even further back than the rear most position of the TY 250 A model? 

On 11/09/2018 at 8:59 AM, turbofurball said:

I'd like to see you make that statement in front of Mick Andrews...

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tillerman6 said:

Could you please please post some pictures of your TY?  I am starting to understand, but without pictures it's a lot harder.  Also I was thinking of getting a TY 175 as a second bike, but I don't know much about them, and they only come up for sale rarely around here, so I was hoping to see what your bike is like and boost my knowledge.  I am especially interested in mods for better control and rider comfort if that is what you are doing.

There's details and photos HERE, some changes have happened since then, but that's just cosmetic stuff.  I took it off the road for the summer while I was doing a bunch of road racing, but will be back on it shortly (unfortunately my other half broke her CBR600RR badly, so I need to finish that first)

EDIT: Forgot to add, it's also had Majesty progressive fork springs fitted.  They are gorgeous :)

Edited by turbofurball

5 hours ago, turbofurball said:

TY175

Have a look at some old SSDT results to see how well a TY 175 could fare, particularly in the hands of Peter Oakley.  They were winning awards all over the country at many levels. Even beating Montesas☺, especially when I was piloting the 348.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I stand corrected!  Mostly I was going off the Majesty advertising, where the stock TY was relegated to being a green laner and the Majesty for trials, and of course Mick Andrews riding the "proper" TY250 in the championship which is completely different animal