Finding Gas Gas parts

sukahutan

Hi All,

I have a 2003 Edition that's showing her age and I'm finding it difficult to find parts, plus I live in France, so it's also a question of vocabulary. I'm currently looking for the two o rings that sit inside the exhaust muffler as it is blowing there between the muffler and box. Plus I have a tubeless rear tyre which is new but still leaking air from two of the spokes so want to replace the tape that sits inside but where to find this? Tried all my local shops but nothing and searched on line. Any suggestions please?

16 hours ago, sukahutan said:

Hi All,

I have a 2003 Edition that's showing her age and I'm finding it difficult to find parts, plus I live in France, so it's also a question of vocabulary. I'm currently looking for the two o rings that sit inside the exhaust muffler as it is blowing there between the muffler and box. Plus I have a tubeless rear tyre which is new but still leaking air from two of the spokes so want to replace the tape that sits inside but where to find this? Tried all my local shops but nothing and searched on line. Any suggestions please?

O rings from a bearing supplier or ebay :thumbup:

• Like 1

On 02/09/2018 at 9:36 AM, nigel dabster said:

the tape is not a gasser part its the same for all makes that age. The only trouble is getting an old style tape the new ones come with integrated valve and just dont seal easily. if at all.

Is the rim tape the same for tubeless and tubed wheels, or is one sticky? 

2 hours ago, sukahutan said:

Is the rim tape the same for tubeless and tubed wheels, or is one sticky? 

The tubeless rear rim tape is an air seal and it is not sticky as in it has no adhesive on it..............................the front rim tape is a protector to stop the inner tube being punctured by the spokes/nipples.

• Like 1

On 02/09/2018 at 11:36 AM, nigel dabster said:

the tape is not a gasser part its the same for all makes that age. The only trouble is getting an old style tape the new ones come with integrated valve and just dont seal easily. if at all.

I suffered from this....

GG UK also ship to me in Abu Dhabi... France should be ok too....

Edited by miner
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, sukahutan said:

I see Heldite doesn't come cheap. Do you think any gasket sealant would do?

No it wouldn't, I have had a 125 ml tin of Heldite for years and used it on various things (bikes, plumbing projects, kicking the tin over) and there is still plenty left.  If you think 11 quid (it may be much dearer in France of course) is too much to sort your problem then you're maybe in the wrong sport (and I'm a typical tight trials rider, disinclined to unnecessary expenditure).  Lidl and Aldi do boxes of O rings from time to time at little cost (probably less than a pair of genuine ones).

Edited by 2stroke4stroke
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, oni nou said:

he really skips the actual mechanics of getting the tape into the groove which is much much harder than he intimates, and i most have great difficulty getting it sealed whereas the old style, which is a completely different compound i could do every time relatively easily.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

he really skips the actual mechanics of getting the tape into the groove which is much much harder than he intimates, and i most have great difficulty getting it sealed whereas the old style, which is a completely different compound i could do every time relatively easily.

No idea why you find it a struggle; it must be how you are doing it...it's easy to get one of the new type seals in to position and get a good air tight seal if you apply plenty of lubricant on the rim and the rim seal itself then go round the edges with a large flat blade screwdriver[ that has had the sharp edges knocked off with a grinder] and push the edges of the sealing band down under the lips of the well where the band sits.

Work in a warm room and warm up the band in some hot water before fitting to make it more pliable.

To obtain a good seal;the most important thing  is to have the rim perfectly clean of all corrosion in the well where the sealing band sits.

Edited by oni nou

On 04/09/2018 at 11:41 AM, oni nou said:

No idea why you find it a struggle; it must be how you are doing it...it's easy to get one of the new type seals in to position and get a good air tight seal if you apply plenty of lubricant on the rim and the rim seal itself then go round the edges with a large flat blade screwdriver[ that has had the sharp edges knocked off with a grinder] and push the edges of the sealing band down under the lips of the well where the band sits.

Work in a warm room and warm up the band in some hot water before fitting to make it more pliable.

To obtain a good seal;the most important thing  is to have the rim perfectly clean of all corrosion in the well where the sealing band sits.

Boll@cks. I've been doing rim bands since 03.

I will give you mine to do if it's that easy, I've done 3 on new rims recently, and SOMETHING isn't as it should be, nothing to do with my technique.

How many have you done on which bikes recently?