Toby Martyn

nigel dabster

It was even better back before they started using time clocks. But all good things must end. Soon the top riders could back most of the way backwards in the section and still clean it. Soon after, too many riders were timing out of the events. Kind of got ugly.     

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lineaway said:

It was even better back before they started using time clocks. But all good things must end. Soon the top riders could back most of the way backwards in the section and still clean it. Soon after, too many riders were timing out of the events. Kind of got ugly.     

Not getting at anyone but nuerous people suggest going back to previous rules but forgetting that they all had their issues. If no stop goes then a time per section is essential to stop the first rider balancing for 7 hours in section 1 and stopping the event. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, jonnyc21 said:

I wish everyone did it the way it’s done in Japan and Spain!

love watching videos of there events.

Videos are fine, they have been edited down. Watching a rider balancing in a section discussing lines, and adjusting position ad nauseam, not so exciting ?

Imagine actually riding in a trial like this, not for me ....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, baldilocks said:

Not getting at anyone but nuerous people suggest going back to previous rules but forgetting that they all had their issues. If no stop goes then a time per section is essential to stop the first rider balancing for 7 hours in section 1 and stopping the event. 

Yea, easy as that. Do whatever you want / deem necessary but you've got 60 or 90 seconds per section.
Takes away all the faff from observing decisions, adds excitement similar to X-Trial - rider gets stuck on a rock. jumps back down, repositions and goes again but clock always ticking.
Literally cant believe it's not been done again already, whistle starts  whistle stops, no arguments apart from the occasional 'I was out before the whistle blew' 

• Like 2

Well you are forgetting the problem now is any mistake the timekeeper makes. The rider or minder than has to keep their own time to keep things honest. And from a scorers point of view keeping time is a pain in the ass. I have scored two World Rounds since the no stop. Much easier for me, but Sport 7 was a pain too.

8 hours ago, b40rt said:

Videos are fine, they have been edited down. Watching a rider balancing in a section discussing lines, and adjusting position ad nauseam, not so exciting ?

Imagine actually riding in a trial like this, not for me ....

They both have in section time limits. So ad nauseam is a bit of a stretch. You can only do so much screwing around with 90 seconds.

Edited by heffergm
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, heffergm said:

No, I don't think he did. If it was me checking, from what I saw in the video anyway, I wouldn't have called it. And therein is the big problem with these rules.

But thats the exact problem. Every observer is different and all you can do is respect their decision. For the FIM to overrule the observer at the perfect time stinks of match fixing. Whens the last time you seen an observer overturned?

As for thinking the rider didnt stop, if you were from "old england" id refer you to your local specsavers. He actaully goes backwards ffs

Edited by faussy

I still disagree (about him stopping). Be that as it may, I do agree that not respecting the observer's decision is a little ridiculous. I do however find them to be separate issues.

Given the sequence of events though, I can't say I understand all the BS going around about this somehow coming down anything related to Italian observers, etc. Presumably the FIM officials are the same officials that are at every event. The (presumably italian) observer made a call in Toby's favor and got stuffed by the FIM. Well, there you go... blame the FIM. You can leave the national favoritism theory at the door.

Edited by heffergm