Toby Martyn

nigel dabster

In 2013 it was a long meeting as there were many new rules that year. Including the riders were not allowed to walk

the section the day of the event. Tbe one I do remember was just because the spokes stopped turning does not mean they had stopped.

In 2017 I don't remember the Saturdag meeting, because I was tbe scspegoat for the Sunday am meeting. I had a very dangerous section and I had let a sec ond minder assist the riders. Fortunatly they changed my section over night which put the minders corridor in just the right spot that another riders minder could help without being in the section. Several times we had spectators almost run over with crashing bikes. If you ever get the chance to read the full rules, there are many ways to five a section without ever riding it. You can also slide your foot forever and it id just a dab. 

Someone should video a scorers meeting.

Just seen Toby is staying in Trial2 for another year. Such a waste of a talent, if he was Spanish he would be straight into TrialGP.

Sorry, but i can only see this as glory hunting. A year wasted. Could you imagine telling Dougie back in the day he had to sit out the premier class for another year?

Edited by faussy

Perhaps Martyn's sponsor/team will only pay him/ supply a bike and help if he rides in the Trial 2 championship and he has had no offers that support him sufficiently financially to allow a comfortable attempt at the trial gp class.

Edited by oni nou
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, faussy said:

Just seen Toby is staying in Trial2 for another year. Such a waste of a talent, if he was Spanish he would be straight into TrialGP.

Sorry, but i can only see this as glory hunting. A year wasted. Could you imagine telling Dougie back in the day he had to sit out the premier class for another year?

I'm disappointed in this too.  Sounded like he had a competitive ride with the big boys at the TdN, and he looked fantastic in the video's I saw of him.

Not sure I'd say it's glory hunting, he doesn't strike me as the type to be interested in that.  I can see the argument in having another year more or less dominating Trial2 to cement his confidence, but on the other hand moving up has had a steady positive influence on Jack Price's riding.

• Like 1

Dan Peace has moved up, and without showing any disrespect to Dan i imagine Toby at the moment would garner more sponsorship attention than Dan.

Its most likely sponsor driven, but sometimes you gotta just go for it, you cant always follow the money! The guys IMO the best talent since Toni (well busto was pretty special at that age too i suppose), and you gotta keep progressing. He basically won it last year, whats staying down another year really going to achieve other than saying you were Trial2 world champion. In the grand scheme is means nothing! Considering the costs for doing a year of trial2 and trialGP are largely the same you would think the sponsor would rather have the odd top 10 finish in trialGP than to win the second class. Oh well

Edited by faussy

I'd see it completely the opposite: I'd think a sponsor would love a T2 world championship, whereas the odd top 10 in GP is basically invisible. Obviously we don't know the real reasons he's staying in T2, but let's imagine it's sponsor driven: it speaks to T2 being seen as a worthwhile place to go to win, not just as a place to pass through on your way to GP (assuming you can actually get there). That's a good things for world championship trials.

Edited by heffergm
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, heffergm said:

I'd see it completely the opposite: I'd think a sponsor would love a T2 world championship, whereas the odd top 10 in GP is basically invisible. Obviously we don't know the real reasons he's staying in T2, but let's imagine it's sponsor driven: it speaks to T2 being seen as a worthwhile place to go to win, not just as a place to pass through on your way to GP (assuming you can actually get there). That's a good things for world championship trials.

Try telling the need for GP2 to Max Verstappen. 

I disagree, when theres as little as 15 in the premier class at a WTC its a bad thing. People complained about Grattarola coming down to win Trial2. Now hes stayed down, and so has Toby. Get your asses up to the premier class, a class that needs you and give someone else a chance. Its the same problem we see at local club level at world level. A post the other day complained about expert riders hogging the club route. Same crap, different level. It used to be at club level or most other sports the winner or even the top 3 had/has to move up. Now the winner, and the guy who was a hairs bredth from winning wont move up. The problem with trials right there in a nutshell. Move on, let the people behind you have a chance.

Edited by faussy

4 minutes ago, heffergm said:

Screw that. If the people behind me are good enough they'll come around me on their own merits.

If youre good enough to move up, you should move up. For the good of you as a rider, and for the sport

I'm 43. Like others who are no longer kids, there are a variety of factors that influence what level I'm willing to compete at, among them risk. My skill level alone does not dictate the class I ride. Sorry, that's life. 

In my opinion this bears no reasonable comparison to anything going on at the world level. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, faussy said:

I disagree, when theres as little as 15 in the premier class at a WTC its a bad thing.

That I agree with. I think it speaks more to the stratification of skill level that becomes ever more pronounced as section difficulty increases, and how few people can actually get anywhere near that level of skill at all. I think overall section difficulty is just off the charts now. Tone it down. Entice more entrants in GP. As the section difficulty goes down, the advantage the very top guys have will decrease. Scores will tighten up. It won't completely upset the apple cart, but I think it would help.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, heffergm said:

That I agree with. I think it speaks more to the stratification of skill level that becomes ever more pronounced as section difficulty increases, and how few people can actually get anywhere near that level of skill at all. I think overall section difficulty is just off the charts now. Tone it down. Entice more entrants in GP. As the section difficulty goes down, the advantage the very top guys have will decrease. Scores will tighten up. It won't completely upset the apple cart, but I think it would help.

Theres definitely something wrong if the first 2 guys in trial2 dont go up. Maybe trials as a sport is just too small and can only support half a dozen guys (money wise) in the premier class and anyone outside the top 8 has no incentive to be there. Theres probably more prize money to win trial2 than finish 10th in GP, and if thats the case its kinda sad.

Edited by faussy
  • Like 1

Toby is 18 years old , one more year in trial 2 won’t do him any harm at this stage in his career , he’s got unfinished business I don’t blame him for having another year and hopefully claim what’s rightfully his , I can see marcelli giving him a real run for his money next year though 

• Like 1