Toby Martyn

nigel dabster

Grattarola came down from TrialGP and is staying to defend his Championship.  Green comes in as 125 Champ, but if Gandola's experience is a guide, it's going to be a learning year for Billy.  Martyn and Marcelli's chance again to rise to the top for the Championship and I'm guessing for Fuji's spot on Team HRC, when he decides to retire.

• 2 weeks later...

4 hours ago, neils on wheels said:

I see the latest news is that Toby is staying in Trial2 for 2019, on a factory Beta.

That is a shame, as he was really bossing the 4T MontesaHonda

Can't blame him for taking a factory ride though, maybe Honda have definitely missed a trick

Edited by johnnyboxer
  • Like 1

Not shocked that he would go for a full Factory Beta ride, from the RG Trial support team. As I mentioned above, Marcelli or Martyn rising up to eventually fill Fuji's shoes....  I'm guessing a Spanish rider is looking better than a Brit, to Repsol Honda?    Toby a good fit with Beta, as Dibs is there and he will get super support in the BTC and other home events from John Lampkin/Beta UK.  You never Beta might surprise us with Toby on a 300 4T?  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nhuskys said:

Not shocked that he would go for a full Factory Beta ride, from the RG Trial support team. As I mentioned above, Marcelli or Martyn rising up to eventually fill Fuji's shoes....  I'm guessing a Spanish rider is looking better than a Brit, to Repsol Honda?    Toby a good fit with Beta, as Dibs is there and he will get super support in the BTC and other home events from John Lampkin/Beta UK.  You never Beta might surprise us with Toby on a 300 4T?  

full factory isnt RG

On 26/09/2018 at 10:41 PM, oni nou said:

I agree but the rules are all over the place... Lineway knows what you can and cannot do, he has observed at World trials in the USA and that video that the FIM had made to show what was acceptable and what was not is out of date......the problem is that they still refer to the rules as non stop and that is clearly not the case, it needs to be updated to non stop with stop allowed ....their interpretation of the word stop is different to a dictionary definition so it is pointless trying to understand the marking system .When a bike can have 1 wheel stopped yet the other can be considered to be making progress its time to enjoy the sheer madness of it all and accept that the results mean nothing.

By that rule then if a competitor locks either the front or rear wheel they have officially by the rules ...stopped...even though the machine is still moving. ????‍♂️

3 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

Toby is the best prospect for a while, but it smacks of lack of ambition to stay trial 2, sorry.

I think it's brilliant. He gets a factory ride, he aims to win the title this time around (presumably on a 2t), and he lets Bou, Raga, Dabill, etc get a year closer to retirement before he moves to GP. 

Since he looks about 14 years old to me, I'm guessing he's still not even 20. There's zero reason to rush, given that it's basically guaranteed that within the next 4 years Raga and Fuji will both have retired, and Bou will be nearing the end of his career. It'll leave a big gap, and coming off a T2 title and a couple journeymen years in GP I think he'll have timed things perfectly. 

Edited by heffergm
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

Toby is the best prospect for a while, but it smacks of lack of ambition to stay trial 2, sorry.

I agree, but I wonder how much is down to Beta wanting a good showing in the Trial2 championship?

He has a two year deal, so I imagine the plan will be to move up to TrialGP in 2020.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

full factory isnt RG

Maybe my American English failed me?  In Yank talk.... Full Factory Team implies riding for the actual Manufacturer's team, not a private team which may receive some consideration and support from the manufacturer.  Rudy Geiser's RG Trial is a private team running Honda/Montesa bikes and pretty sure they have some official Honda support.

• Like 2