Toby Martyn

nigel dabster

4 hours ago, heffergm said:

This is rather significant: "[Toby] will contest the 2019 Spanish national championship..."

Gas Gas had Dibs do the same thing in 2017.  More prestigious than BTC and gets to ride against more top riders.

18 hours ago, nhuskys said:

Maybe my American English failed me?  In Yank talk.... Full Factory Team implies riding for the actual Manufacturer's team, not a private team which may receive some consideration and support from the manufacturer.  Rudy Geiser's RG Trial is a private team running Honda/Montesa bikes and pretty sure they have some official Honda support.

Sorry my mistake you're spot on there.

10 minutes ago, breagh said:

Kind of says it all that he's not up for the BTC, bring back a BTC based on the big nationals and ditch this  exclusive  series.

Include the SSDT and the Scott so we can all feel part of it.

What’s that got to do with this topic??

In the CET he'll get to ride against Bou, Gelabert, Raga, Noguiera, Marcelli, etc. There is no better pool of trials talent in one place other than GP. He gets to ride against all the guys he'll be going against in GP in the future, without any real pressure other than to learn. Again, good move on his part in my opinion. 

• Like 2

On 03/11/2018 at 7:57 AM, breagh said:

Kind of says it all that he's not up for the BTC, bring back a BTC based on the big nationals and ditch this  exclusive  series.

Include the SSDT and the Scott so we can all feel part of it.

thats why hes not doing those events i guess as its noe good for then riding in wtc, thats why hes riding the spanish champs.

On 03/11/2018 at 3:39 PM, heffergm said:

In the CET he'll get to ride against Bou, Gelabert, Raga, Noguiera, Marcelli, etc. There is no better pool of trials talent in one place other than GP. He gets to ride against all the guys he'll be going against in GP in the future, without any real pressure other than to learn. Again, good move on his part in my opinion. 

then why not do the gps then and ride against bou etc there?

Because they'd rather see him win a T2 championship at the world level while he continues to progress?

You guys need to stop seeing T2 as a necessary evil on the way to GP and instead as a worthwhile championship to win in its own right.  

• Like 3

Let me ask it a different way: how does winning a T2 championship, defending it for a year, then going to GP not progress his career? I'd argue it progresses it more than going straight to GP now, finishing 10th on good day, and mentally taking a beating for the next 4 years.

I'm not cynical enough to think that Beta is treating this purely as a money grab. Obviously money factors into things, but since Beta already field Dabil and Caby, they're invested in the logistics of moving bikes/parts/people/etc around the world. All they'd really be paying is airfare and lodging for one more rider if Toby got tossed in, so again, I don't think the expense is a big consideration.